1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I'm an NQT and I don't think I can do this

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by toyin20121, Dec 7, 2018.

1. toyin20121

toyin20121 New commenter

I completed my PGCE in July and still been unable to secure a teaching role. I've joined 9 different agencies which have all been useless. I've been applying for roles independently and all the job interviews I have managed to get have been through my own efforts without the help of any of the agencies I've signed up with out of desperation of not finding a role. I've had 11 different interviews and beginning to feel low. My feedback tends to be the same thing good planning and behaviour management but not engaging enough. I feel each time I go for interview I become less and less confident as I feel I know I'm not going to get the role. I've started to develop a negative mindset. I want to teach but I'm afraid, sounds dumb but, that's how I feel. My final placement was super hard and I had a really cruel and useless mentor that absolutely disliked me, I stayed strong for the sake of the class but that still has affected my ability to feel able to go on.....:-(
    I'm drowning in debt and want to start working, I refuse to do supply work as it's inconsistent and I'm a single mum to 2 kids so I want a permanent role. I feel I don't want to do this anymore, that I'm not good enough and each time I'm turned down for a role that maybe I don't have what it takes. I'm suffering with anxiety and losing the will to stay strong and keep trying. I was wondering if I'm better off just being a TA because I know I could get that job easier despite the difference in pay. I just need to be working and I need help/advice please.

2. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Sorry to hear this. Try applying for TA roles instead. You could always get a TA role and go from there. Sometimes TAs become teachers in the same school. It has happened in some of the previous schools I've worked in. Good luck!

phlogiston likes this.
  3. Wilmthrop

Wilmthrop New commenter

This advice may or may not be helpful, but have you closely considered the type of pedagogy that the schools you apply for prefer?

Case in point. I decided to leave my current job in January. I know that I'm a good teacher, but I don't deliver "fun" lessons. I have tried and failed, it just doesn't chime with my character. Of the two schools that I applied to, one favoured a "fun" approach to teaching and one didn't. Regardless to say, I got the job at the latter.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

It would make much more sense to do supply while you look for a permanent role. You can keep your hand in, develop your abilities, get your name and face known in local schools, increase your confidence and self-esteem, hone your craft and give yourself many more examples to use when you apply for permanent posts. And stop the debt growing.

You also give yourself the opportunity to be in the right place at the right time when a permanent post arises. Twice in my career I have been handed a post on a plate because I've been in the school on day to day supply at the time.

Start doing supply from January and you might well find yourself in a permanent post by Easter, certainly by September.

Best of luck.

5. Jessaki

Jessaki Occasional commenter

When I did my PGCE one of the people on my course went for 23 interviews, before they were offered a job. The job they got, they are still in now 10 years later. So, while it can get you down, the interview experience is invaluable and you get an excellent insight into how different schools operate.

However, I would strongly encourage you to do supply. You say you are running low on funds, supply is way to earn money. No it's not consistent, but if you are reliable, you will always have work. A school may need someone for a few days, if they like you it could turn into a longer contract via the agency. All the while you are still able to look for other permanent jobs, and you will also now be able to have teaching references that is not from your PGCE. Most of my PGCE colleagues who did not have a permanent post, by the time we finished did supply and they all had a job by the end of the first year.

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Supply teaching has drawbacks as well as advantages. One big advantage is the money coming in at least sometimes that will possibly help you with the debt situation. Another advantage is that you build your confidence and get known in schools. I suspect that in these days of workplace stress, a fair number of supply placements could lead to longer term work.
    Thirdly if you do work in schools, you will see in a practical way that you can do the job (which is different to the theoretical knowledge that you have at the moment). Finally, you get an up to date working reference.
    Good luck

agathamorse and SundaeTrifle like this.
  7. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 Occasional commenter

If you refuse to do supply you're blocking off opportunities that may come your way. I did a maternity cover for my first job, it was a Janauary start(almost two decades ago) and I was kept on for another long term cover as the second in dept had an accident and was off for a long time. Before she returned the lady who I covered on maternity was having her second child and I stayed on even longer! I was there for three years and I was originally going to be there for two terms. Supply can be good, I know when my situation is sorted, I will look to do long term supply rather than a permanent job.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 Occasional commenter

January sorry typo
    Sorry January, I can spell but didn't check it properly.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. A_Million_Posts

A_Million_Posts Star commenter

Do supply. People won't give a permanent role to someone with no experience that they don't know. Supply is the way you access longer term jobs in teaching.

agathamorse likes this.