1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I'm an NQT and don't like my school (help!)

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by acs39, Oct 12, 2016.

1. acs39

acs39 New commenter

I've just finished my training in June 2016 and started at a school as a year 5 teacher in September. 6 weeks in and I know that I'm not at the right school. The environment is extremely negative and the school's policies don't suit my way of teaching. I am not surrounded by a supportive network of teachers (including my mentor who is also the deputy head) and I'm finding that it's affecting my happiness. Any time I try to seek advice I feel like I am shot down with negative responses, or deemed incompetent. However, in order to stay for only a term I know that unfortunately I will have to hand in my notice by 31st October.

Whilst I know that no one on a forum can make this decision for me, I just wanted to ask for help and advice from other professionals. Is it too early in week 6 to be making this decision, or do you think it's right to quit if I don't feel like I will be happy (even if it is only a mat leave contract)? Also, in the event that I were to quit, how does this affect my completion of my NQT year and will it have any detrimental impact upon the reference my current school give me, and my chances of getting a job elsewhere? Just to emphasise that I only want to quit my school, not the profession as a whole. I feel like I am not receiving the right support as an NQT at the moment, and I would ideally like to continue my induction period at another school after terminating my employment at this one.

Any feedback is much appreciated! Thanks to all

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

re-post in 'workplace dilemmas' - no one will see your message here

3. snail_friendly

snail_friendly Occasional commenter

You sound like you've given your situation careful consideration and it looks like you've made a decision that is right for you.

I agree with you that some schools are just not right for some teachers so I think you're wise to want to find a school that fits you :)

NQT years are incredibly stressful so it does take a little while to settle - do you think you have given yourself enough of a chance?

Resignation is only a little over 2 weeks away for a January start. Do you have the means to support yourself should you not be able to find a January start?

Or, could you hold on for another term and a half and start somewhere in April?

Please bear in mind that mid-year starts can be challenging for different reasons.

Have you seen any jobs that you would like to apply for? If so, try to research the school as much as possible / arrange a visit you don't want to leave one unsuitable environment for another.

There are many people who complete their NQT year at two different schools so please don't think this will have a negative impact on your career.

4. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

I've been in your position, I stupidly stuck it out for two years.

Teaching experience is teaching experience at the end of the day unfortunately and for an NQT that's invaluable. I struggled to get a job somewhere else my first year because I didn't have any proof of the results I could achieve - but that's me! You might go for an interview in two weeks and get the job on the spot.

If you still love teaching, stick with it, and look for other jobs. Don't give your notice until you have something permanent or at least somewhere to go. This might not be what you want to hear but supply isn't reliable.

My advice would be, talk to other people, especially on here for advice it's invaluable. Talk to people in your department too - they probably have similar complaints! Sometimes the policies can also be 'bent' rather than broken completely. At the end of the day it's your classroom, your rules.

Stick it out if you can, but if you are seriously unhappy and can't bear the thought of being in school for much longer then hand it in.

Don't suffer in Silence! Even if you just reach out to people on here. I know it's tough when friends and family don't quiet 'get it'. No one knows a teaching job until they've done it!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Also if you're not getting the right NQT support ask your union rep! What should your school be providing in terms of NQT rights/support/etc.

Don't let the world union scare you - it doesn't have to be a huge thing, just a quick private e-mail outside of school.