1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I'm an Aunt!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by SleighBelle, Feb 21, 2011.

1. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

My sister had the first baby in the family at 4.10am today! He's a corking 9lb 7oz and 11 days overdue. They haven't decided on a name yet- waiting for my sister to recover after quite a tough labour to see which of their shortlisted names he looks most like.
    I'm not allowed to put it on facebook yet but just wanted to beam out the good news!
    Aside from books and clothes, what nice pressies do mums and dads like the most??

2. Congratulations! No idea about the gifts... never been a new Mum. Something unique and special maybe, a keepsake? xxx

3. Congratulations!

I know they're not exactly 'nice' presents but, when my children were born, my sister bought us lots of nappies, wipes, baby lotion etc. Your sister will definitely appreciate them!

If you're looking for a 'keepsake', there are lots of lovely things in the baby section of www.notonthehighstreet.com :)

4. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

Congratulations, bottle of champers and a Spa voucher?xx

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Congratulations - being an Auntie rocks [​IMG]
    I'm sure Mum would appreciate some luxurious hand cream and bath stuff.

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

How about something for when the baby's bigger - a lightweight sleeping bag for summer, clothes for 6 - 12 months. Mind you - I just loved buying tiny stuff for my grandaughter, i didn't care that they already had drawers full of lovely things. I had to be dragged out of John Lewis - I just love their baby things.

7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Btw - congratulations on the good news. Have they got a bouncing cradle? Or a sling? They're both really useful and make nice presents imo.

8. Congratulations! My little nephew is my favourite person. Ever.

9. SleighBelle

Thank you for the replies everyone! I have bought soooo many cute little boy clothes- a mixture of 0-3 and 3-6 month sizes, plus The Very Hungry Caterpillar, a Pooh Bear cloth rattle and a Humprey's Corner pull-toy that plays a lullaby.
    Think I might go down the champers route as a gift for my sister and her husband- they deserve a treat!
    I still haven't seen him or spoken to my sister, though. She must be knackered :(

10. Yes, I really appreciated things like this when I had my babies. Not anything too perfumed though as it can interfere with the bonding/smell recognition that goes between mum and baby.
    I remember how I fell in love with my neice and nephew when they were born. Lovely feeling.
    Congrats.

11. Congratulations! I think champagne is a grand idea. Let everyone else buy stuff for the baby! The mum and dad deserve something to themselves! :)

12. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

I know it's dull but a Mothercare voucher which they can spend at a later date on the endless paraphernalia required by babies and toddlers may well be a counterbalance to the many immediate baby gifts they will be receiving.
    But the champagne is a great immediate gift!

13. SleighBelle

Ooh yeah, vouchers for later would be good too.

I was thinking about starting some savings for my nephew- would it be easiest if I just gave the money to my sister to set it up, or is there something I can do/give?

14. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I thought you couldn't drink champers if you were breast feeding or has that changed now!

15. I've made up baskets ( for just when needed) Dentinox, Calpol, Thingy Parsons powders, Bonjela, Colic Drops, Spare Dummies. Teethers. Everyone giggles when they get them. Everyone says what a fab idea the first time they need something and it's there, just when needed.

16. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

I was going to say a nappy cake from www.bellasbabycakes.com but just looked at website and found she is temporarily not selling them as has had a baby. Hopefully they will be back soon. I sent one to my neice and it was very well received. There are probably other people that make them.