1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I'm a new TA and not treated fairly

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by DiyaK, Sep 14, 2015.

1. DiyaK

DiyaK New commenter

I have started a new job first year at a SEN school. Treated unfairly have been very upset with no support. The HOD is not sympathetic at all.

Also I have not had my contract yet. Does anyone know how long it takes to get drawn up?

2. stargirl81

stargirl81 New commenter

Hi. When you say you've been treated unfairly what do you mean? What kind of thing has happened? Sometimes people come across as unsympathetic because they are busy or stressed ( I know thats no excuse!)

Contracts take a while, i got mine in my last school in nov/dec..

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Am not sure how you expect your colleagues to respond ? Upset - so what ? New jobs are tough but you need to put things in perspective and deal with the things you can - don't waste energy by being negative. Remain professional and take every opportunity to learn and hone your practice

4. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Perhaps some more examples, so that we could offer some concrete advice. I do think that the previous poster may have been a bit too harsh, but without further information, it is tricky to give good advice.

best wishes

5. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Schools can be horrible places to work! However it would be helpful to have more info and then we can advise. Schools are very busy especially at the beginning of the year and people just might not have considered that you needed support. I always say to newbies including teachers that I know where most things are in the school( been there for a long time) and to just ask if they need any help. It could be that they have been too busy with the new class as there is a lot to do and curriculum changes happen too. Just listen well and try and do your job well, look for a friendly TA and ask advice. Don't moan about others as you might pick their friend to tell! Have you been a TA before?

6. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Sorry, contracts...I wouldn't expect it until after 1/2 term. It takes a while.