1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I'm a full time social worker who would like to tutor part-time

Discussion in 'US – Staffroom' started by Cropsey, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Cropsey

Cropsey New commenter

I'm having difficulty figuring out how I should go about this.

I'm in my late 30s and I've been a social worker for 4 years in NYC. I went to a low tier city college. I did horrible on the SAT. I'm interested in practicing the SAT. I don't feel pressured as I did in high school and I believe I could score well. Afterwards I would like to tutor students on the SAT. I also love Bio and Human Anatomy and Physiology. I feel I could study these subjects and tutor in this area as well.

Now, I didn't go to Harvard or any top school. Nor do I have experience as a teacher. So is tutoring a realistic goal for me? I'm also, concerned that I will only be able to charge peanuts because I don't have the glamorous education background.

So my questions are:

1) How do I prepare for the SAT since it's been a long time since I was in school. Do I have to start off from scratch and relearn high school math and then prep for the SAT? Or can I go to straight to practicing the SAT?

2) Will I be able to draw clientele even if I don't have a glamorous education background? As long as I score well on the SAT and can connect with students? For some reason, I believe I have a knack with connecting with students from my background as a social worker. Also if I could only make $15-20 per hour it wouldn't be worth it for me. I would like to charge a lot higher and ideally even start a tutoring business. As a social worker I don't bring in a high salary so I would like to supplement my income. Are these realistic exceptions?

I don't have any tutoring experience. And I understand the saying "don't put the cart before the horse" but I also don't want to waste my time.

2. lisacoy455

lisacoy455 New commenter

I do live in New York too. I am an artist and also take tuitions in humanities subjects as it helps me financially. It would help you to read up a lot more and look at the possible clientele through spreading a word about the subjects you might want to take. There should be many online opps for that. I also hope you can do it the formal way :)