1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Illness - Again!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by sadandconfused, Feb 6, 2012.

1. I don't really have any advice just wanted to sympathise and empathise with you. I too have had a lot of time off... A week in October with tonsilitis, two weeks in November after a dash to a & e and a diagnosis of gall stones and am now beginning the fourth week off with another flare up of pain from the gall stones. Thankfully I do have a date for an operation to remote the gall bladder but that's going to mean probably another two to three weeks off afterwards. I too am concerned about my job and being put on absences watch but what can one do? If you have a long term condition, especially if it's undiagnosed there's not much you can do. From what I've heard you (and I) are likely to be referred to occupational health, who, by most accounts, are generally very supportive and will help you to return to work as and when you feel able. Hope you get a diagnosis soon and some effective treatment

2. Mercy- you should spend your time getting better rather than worrying! At some time in our lives we will all need a long period of time off work and it is important that you get better properly. sadandconfused- I have also heard from colleagues that occ health are supportive and I have witnessed many people come back to work fully recovered and ready to take on the world.

Sorry that I can't offer more practical advice, but try to stop worrying. It sounds like nothing has been put in motion and if it does you will be ready for it.
    Best wishes!

3. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Another vote for stop worrying-that's the road to nowhere. When you have a diagnosis, ask to be refered to OH. I have been referred to them twice and, on each occasion, was able to return to work SO much better and ready to take on the world!
    On the second occasion, it meant that I took early retirement which was the right decision for me and meant that I was able to get my life back. Getting off the exhausting tread mill which had become my life, was a real eye opener!!