1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

illegitimate shopping items

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Apr 9, 2020.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

What are they? Who puts them back? Why are they on the shelves? I don't understand, unless it's a question of stockpiling

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Anything someone else considers non-essential

agathamorse likes this.
  3. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Where has this term come from?

4. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I think the police chief of Northamptonshire (?) said something about measures they weren’t taking yet , which included eg road blocks, checking shopping baskets for non essential items etc.

steely1 and agathamorse like this.
  5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

That's easier said than done. Are clothes essential? What's supposed to happen if the lockdown results in people getting fatter so their clothes can no longer be buttoned up?

Crockery to eat off if you break your last plate? What about dishwashers for people who can't wash up in a sink, because they only have one arm?

What if the TV breaks down and the ability to find out when its all over, or learn when the government brings in further restrictions?

How will you be able to call NHS111 if you think you have coronavirus and your phone has gone up the pictures?

A case for most things can be made as being essential to some individuals if you think about it long enough.

6. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

7. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I don't suppose anyone could have deemed the magnum ice lollies I bought on my last shopping trip about 10 days ago essential but I didn't make a special journey to get them. If they went in s basket with the bread, fruit and vegetables etc that I bought I fail to see why anyone would object.

8. Lidnod

Lidnod Senior commenter

I can understand the objection if you went out solely with the purpose of buying something clearly non essential and did so repeatedly, making the purchase your excuse to be out, but not to adding a non essential item or items to a trolley.

9. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Going put repeatedly for forgptten extras appliies just as much to "essential" items as those deemef "essential".

10. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

He did, and then changed his mind:

Police chief u-turns after threatening to check shopping baskets for 'essential' items during coronavirus lockdown
    His comments were criticised by civil liberties groups and questioned by others who pointed out No 10 had already made it clear that buying any goods in a shop still allowed to be open was not against any rules.

Chief Constable Adderley has since gone back on his threat and said police would be cracking down on people carrying out non-essential trips, but will not looking in shopping trollies.

The force then tweeted that police would not be searching trollies and implied that the comments had been said in the media rather than by the police chief:

“To clarify some suggestions made in the media, we absolutely will NOT be searching people's shopping trolleys in Northamptonshire,” the official Twitter account said.
    ;):D;)

11. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Haven’t they got anything better to do ?

steely1, DrLinus, agathamorse and 2 others like this.
  12. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I bought hot cross buns yesterday when I was on my daily walk. Is that legal?

13. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Yes, there was a later retraction . I was just explaining where the concept had come from.
    However.
    I hadn’t seen this suggestion that blamed the media.
    The interview was shown on tv and he seemed pretty clear when he said.
    We haven’t started to ......check trollies for legitimate or unnecessary items ......but we will do that if people do not listen to the warnings.

There‘s probably a you tube clip of it somewhere.

14. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I heard about Northamptonshire fuzz on the radio. It smacks of Stazi. Some copper decides what is essential? If you are lactose intolerant milk and milk products are not essential. The whole idea is ridiculous.

15. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Mr BS and I have both, on different occasions, popped into a local shop on our walk for birthday cards. Not essential but an important way to keep up the well being of friends and family.

16. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

What people buy is their business....anything to stay sane during lockdown really. If people need a bottle of wine,a new item of clothing , plants for gardening or paints and paper to keep children amused then that is their business and no one else's.

17. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

I suspect that the person who said this originally was dressed down and had to retract.

18. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Just as we are being encouraged to ask ourselves 'is your journey really necessary', those in authority should ask themselves 'is what i am going to say of any help', before saying it.

19. shakes1616

shakes1616 Established commenter

They do get paid rather well police officers especially the Chiefs. I'd like to see a break down of crimes in Northants. Lol

20. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Were they going to check observing social distancing ? What rot ! Off with their heads!