1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I'll tell you what to teach, what to really really teach

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Vince_Ulam, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

[​IMG]

Geri Halliwell exploring opening own free school

'The former Ginger Spice, independently wealthy and married since last May to the millionaire Formula 1 team boss Christian Horner, told the Mail on Sunday: “I believe in education. It’s an empowering fundamental human right that everyone deserves. Education is a foundation for life.”

A spokeswoman for the Department for Education confirmed that there have been discussions with Halliwell, but stressed that the plans were at a very early stage.
    '

(TheGuardian.com, 25th October 2015.)

Is it April Fools Day so soon?

2. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Come on Vince, give her a break. It is nice to see someone in her position do something like this even if she may seem a bit naive. She certainly doesn't have to.

I am with you all the way on any criticism of Free schools but how can you put down anybody who says:
    “I believe in education. It’s an empowering fundamental human right that everyone deserves. Education is a foundation for life.”

Education Girl Power, I say!

3. drek

drek Star commenter

perfect. What we did not pay in tax we paid to turn the ordinary into millionaires. (Simon, louis, rooney et al), they exel at keeping us all titivated, one way or the other after all.
    So perhaps it is right that they should run the country and all its 'systems' directly rather than as donors?

4. drek

drek Star commenter

Dumb leading dumber?

5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Hopefully the curriculum will include lessons on girl power, explaining to the pupils how a good education will allow them to emulate Halliwell's path to success by, like her, "getting them out for The Sun", parading for the press in a bikini at every opportunity, and whoring any product thrust at them.

drek likes this.
  6. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

We're overrun with educational establishments in this country. If she believes passionately in education, there are plenty of places overseas that would welcome her and her chequebook with open arms.

7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

True.

It was only recently she was looking into adopting a little brown child. Could be a two birds, one stone sort of thing in the offing...

http://www.contactmusic.com/geri-horner/news/halliwell-eyes-adoption_1101398

But Halliwell, who recently split from fiance Fabrizio Politi, insists she would love to expand her family by taking in an African boy or girl - as there are so many children suffering in the continent.
    She tells Britain's Red magazine, "I know it's such a cliche for a famous person to adopt a child but that wouldn't stop me. After working for the U.N., I know the AIDS epidemic in Africa has left so many children orphaned. It would be an absolute gift to be able do it."

8. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Good for her, but I am disappointed to find out she's not really a redhead.:(

9. Vince_Ulam

School uniform, sorted:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
    Middlemarch likes this.
  10. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

My reaction exactly. I'll leave aside the passionate comments she's made, because they're easy to make: what does this woman know about education, pray?

Rhoswen77 likes this.
  11. Vince_Ulam

'British Values', sorted:

[​IMG]

12. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Still, Vince, she appears to be strongly in favour of British values...

13. Fergi

Fergi New commenter

I must admit, I'm not sure what to make of this. Halliwell would seem to be merely a piece of bubble gum, but who has contributed in quite a big way to the enjoyment of many in our society. How important is this and how much credence should we give to her utterances and deeds because of this?

This debate could easily be expanded into why does our society accept the importance of people like Halliwell who we give so much to, for so little substance, other than fluff, in return?

My answer to this is simply that I don't know.

14. maurice-r

maurice-r Established commenter

Not worth a discussion, Vince.

15. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

She did a good job of co-presenting The One Show t'other night. She can't half read an auto-cue.

16. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

From what I could see and hear that's exactly what she did - half read it and constantly talked over her co-presenter and the guests.

Can't wait for the 'Halliwell does education' series a la Jamie Oliver.

17. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I would hazard a guess that celebrities fill holes in our globally connected life. Celebrities enable gossip amongst strangers.

18. drek

drek Star commenter

Scintillant you make a good point. Perhaps celebrities who know how to 'network' themselves are the best 'educators'. Even if they have no other skill to speak of!
    Show kids how to be a pointless celeb because it sure is the way to meet the Queen, be honoured for contributing to society and make more and more money.
    Reading and writing should be limited to patents and contracts. Numeracy to income tax avoidance.

Scintillant likes this.