1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ill health retirement

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by 1970devon, May 31, 2018.

1. 1970devon

1970devon Occasional commenter

That's interesting littlejackhorner......I have been granted tier 1 but told by my union that I will not be able to work in education as TA or many other roles.......I am going to clarify. I would possibly be interested in doing lab technician work within school / college in the future.

2. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Occasional commenter

Definitely get in touch with teachers pensions. I found them to be very helpful although it did take about a week for them to respond. Personally I wouldn't want to do a TA job even though I could as so much is expected of TAs now. I know that doing that job would just make me ill again but a lab technician job is a completely different thing.
    I have also worked as an exam invigilator. That has to be the least stressful job I have ever done. Its obviously only a zero hour contract but it depends on how much more money you need.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

1970devon likes this.
  3. lucykate5

lucykate5 New commenter

All the best to you all.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    1970devon likes this.
  4. jones14g

jones14g New commenter

I wonder if anyone can advise me. I'm considering applying for IHR and need to know can I make an application whilst I am still teaching? I am taking a lot of time off due to my condition but I am trying to not let my students down and am forcing myself to continue to work as best I can. On the TPS guidance forms, it says I need to "Have left all pensionable service because of ‘incapacity’." as one of the criteria before I can be assessed. So do I have to have left work due to my illness first? If I don't get awarded the pension then I will be without money.

5. jennie6adams

jennie6adams New commenter

6. jennie6adams

jennie6adams New commenter

Hi I have been teaching for 30 years and am just starting on a second long term sick leave with no pay. In a phone conversation with OH they said the school had raised medical retirement. this was the first I had heard of it. Feeling a little shocked as I wanted to go back! Any help and advice would be greatly received.

7. eoghanball0

eoghanball0 New commenter

Considering applying for IHR myself - Mental health issues - Is there any documentation of 'criteria' that they measure against. If Im gonna seek medical reports then I need to considering requesting that they focus on these areas I imagine.

Anyone had success in IHR for mental health reasons?