1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ill health retirement

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by 1970devon, May 31, 2018.

1. lju

lju New commenter

Yes, it's awful, all out of your hands and a decision made on your future which you have no real control over.

2. dierdrie barlow

dierdrie barlow New commenter

Is that for the rest of your life or do these conditions on tier one or two stop when you reach npa?

3. pmichelmore

pmichelmore New commenter

Yes, for the rest of your life- provided you don’t teach, lecture, coach, tutor, etc..
    You need to inform the TPS if you do eat some sort of ‘other’ employment in tier 1.

4. Saffron5

Saffron5 New commenter

Devon
    I hope you managed to sort out your ill health retirement and it's all settled now.
    Mine was done really quickly after I eventually sent the forms best decision I made.

5. 1970devon

1970devon Occasional commenter

Hi I'm so glad to hear that Saffron. Believe it or not mine is still going on :( both union and hospital feel very much that they are being particularly fussy! Just had another load of paperwork sent from hospital in support which is all being returned tomorrow so cross fingers. The process has nearly broken me.. despite 4 consultants, a gp practice and union support I feel like I'm lying :(

6. 1970devon

1970devon Occasional commenter

So update time. I put in my ill health application December 2018, it was rejected with information about what was missing. Put in an appeal in June as it took that long to ensure all evidence was accrued. They asked for more information so another 2 consultants weighed in with their prognosis which has taken until October to gain. I sent all information back last week with another letter from my union. This morning I have phoned as the task had disappeared off the on line tracker and it would appear I have been awarded Tier 1 back dated to Dec 2018. I am a little in shock and don't think I'll believe it until the documents arrive in the post! Apparently forms with payment request details have been sent to me. Does this all sound like I have got it?! Can honestly say it has been the most stressful 2 years of my life. Crossing fingers for postman over next few days. Sorry for my rambling.

Welliebobs likes this.
  7. pmichelmore

pmichelmore New commenter

It’s usually a good sign if it’s disappeared from the tracker, if theyv3 told you you’ve got it then you’ve got it, congrats

1970devon likes this.
  8. Ex-teacher

Ex-teacher Occasional commenter

Excellent news. I know when I got the letter I was thoroughly relieved!

1970devon likes this.
  9. bogwash1

bogwash1 New commenter

After 4 months of putting together medical evidence and getting past employers to fill their parts in it took only 3 days to get a decision from the TPS

10. Helenmk

Helenmk New commenter

I've read all the posts with interest, I was awarded Tier 2 enhanced, after stage 3b breast cancer in 2017 aged 47. I asked to be dismissed due to Ill health then to take early retirement due to ill health and the whole process was mostly stress free. My union rep was fantastic as was my headteacher. My oncologist filled the form in and that was that. I didn't have to attend any meetings at all.
    I've never looked back and am now a school governor in my old school. I also now can be a full time mum to my 11 year old. I feel my life is peaceful and fulfilling despite my prognosis.