1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ill health retirement

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by 1970devon, May 31, 2018.

1. LadyForlorn

LadyForlorn New commenter

To be honest, I wasn’t really in any fit state to do any paid work when I first retired. I was still quite depressed. I never rang TPS but did apply for ESA to give me some ‘breathing space’ and keep my NI contributions up to date.

Almost a year down the line and I am past the stage where I am interested in doing any tutoring. I do some voluntary work but if I look for any paid work in the future it will be nothing to do with education. I am past that point in my life. It’s time to do something new.

My IHR was approved just before Christmas (literally got the letter on 23rd of December last year) and nothing could then be done until the start of term. My employers had to then confirm my leaving date (31st December). I received my first payment at the beginning of February but my lump sum was delayed due to ‘human error’ until March.

2. Ex-teacher

Ex-teacher Occasional commenter

As I don't intend to do any tutoring I haven't contacted them about that, just remember it in the letter.

My letter accepting me for IHR was sent on September 3rd. I had to fill in a form online (done, but due to "an issue" it wasn't recieved), and school had to confirm a few details (took 2 weeks). When both were completed, and I had the email saying all was completed, they sent me the financial calculations 10 days later, and within 3 days the money was in the bank.

I had the money within 7 weeks of acceptance. If their hadn't been "the issue" it would have been 10 days earlier.

3. amanda11111

amanda11111 New commenter

Many thanks. Can you be a school governor do you know?

4. Nt31

Nt31 New commenter

Amanda 11111 you asked about being a school governor if you are in receipt of ill health benefits. I have asked TPS this and they said yes. I am not on the enhanced benefits though so it may be different advice for that.

LadyForlorn likes this.
  5. Julieann69

Julieann69 New commenter

6. Julieann69

Julieann69 New commenter

Hi all
    Just wondering if anyone can help ? I’m considering going for I’ll health retirement. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2016 underwent a bilateral mastectomy and total lymph node clearance followed by chemo and radiotherapy. I am in remission. I have to take tamoxifen for 10 years .

I then was diagnosed with fibromyalgia which causes my joints to be very painful I struggle walking any great distance and get fatigued easily. I’m am in constant pain.

6 months previously to my cancer I had a back operation for a prolapsed disc, I have a scoliosis lower lumba and a degenerative spine.

Also I suffer from high blood pressure, anxiety and depression , IBS, insomnia and vitiligo. The vitiligo has contributed massively to my low self-esteem.

I take a cocktail of drugs to keep me going but have had two absences off work now and have been referred to occupational health at last.

I support students in an alternative provision for behaviour issues. Recently I got hurt (not badly) but I’m struggling.i still do the same amount of hours but work have taken some of my teaching responsibilities off me as I was being left with these unpredictable students on my own, hence being hurt and upset.

My line manger passed all this up higher as she felt they were expecting to much from me .

I’m frightened to start the process of I’ll health retirement in case I don’t qualify as I would then be dismissed and I ask myself who would want to employ me. I have my doctors support but I hear it’s extremely difficult to get .

Many thanks

Julieann

7. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

@julieann there are two tiers of ill health retirement. If you look on the tps website it tells you more, you can also ring TPS and speak to them about it to find out a bit more. I don't think you could be dismissed if you were to apply and didn't get it but that might be a question to ask your Union.

8. Julieann69

Julieann69 New commenter

Thank you for this info I will into it

9. 1970devon

1970devon Occasional commenter

Well update for anyone interested. With the support of my GP and consultant plus union i have now put in an ill health application. School had put me thorough a formal absence hearing amd with backing of LEA chose to dismiss me as being unfit to teach. My paperwork was received by TPS on 21st dec so fingers crossed now!
    Both medical reports clearly but very briefly stated that I would not be fit to teach now or in the future so hoping that's enough. Will keep you all informed x

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well glad you're pleased with the outcome.

1970devon likes this.
  11. 1970devon

Thanks @Lara mfl 05 . I just want an end to everything now. My union is still keen for me to persue the discrimination case as it is felt by all that the decision i have now made is much more rushed than we would have liked and that the whole process has made my illness more extreme. As I say, crossing fingers x

12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I can understand that feeling of 'just wanting it all to be over' and as you say you don't want to extend your period of ill-health any longer than you need to.

So sad that so many of us who post here can empathize with your situation, Though obviously people know this is somewhere to come for advice, whereas those who are happy in their posts won't feel the need to look in and post and so perhaps this appears to be prevalent than it is.

FrankWolley and 1970devon like this.
  13. SG_2

SG_2 New commenter

Hi 1970devon. I hope you receive your decision very soon and get what you need. Getting my application together was a very lengthy process, particularly as HR and OH didn’t seem to know what they were doing. However, once I’d submitted, TPS replied within 7 days, a couple of weeks before Christmas. I imagine that Christmas is delaying things slightly for you. Thinking of you, as I know the waiting is a very anxious time.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. 1970devon

@Lara mfl 05 I hope that's true. Unfortunately I've come across quite a few teachers in real life with similar stories. Something wrong for sure. The area in which I've spent my whole career is SO insular, everybody knows everybody and nothing is private which I find very difficult. Also jobs are a lot about who you know rather than what you know. Have experienced negatives and positives are that. Anyway thanks for kind words. Still crossing fingers!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

Good luck @1970devon. I hope you get a successful outcome. I have a formal absence hearing coming up in a few week time. My OH report says that I would not be eligible for ill health retirement so I'm not sure where I stand on this as I feel I cannot go back to teaching and I will not go back to teaching, I cannot take the risk to my health again.

1970devon likes this.
  16. samatqueens

samatqueens New commenter

Hi 1970Devon. Have read this post with real interest as I am trying to decide whether to apply. Please post your outcome when you receive it. I would be very interested. And good luck!

1970devon likes this.
  17. 1970devon

Hi samatqueens, I definitely will let you know the outcome. Currently my application has not been appointed a medical examiner which is frustrating. I'm really worried about finances as not fit enough to work, in any role, at the moment. If i knew my penaion was approved, a huge weight would be lifted. That's for sure. Let me know what you decide.

18. 1970devon

Hi Bedlam
    Sorry only just spotted your response. At the time of my FAH the OH were saying that they hoped with support Id be able ti return to teaching. That advice was ignored at the hearing. My own GP and hospital team, having seen how unsuportive working om education can be, both say categorically I will not be fit to teach again. It'd taken some adjusting to and I am currently unemployed for the first time since I was 13. Teaching has broken me. :/

19. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

I am sorry @1970devon. It is so wrong that stress in teaching seems to be being completely ignored. It makes me feel very angry. I don't know how old you are but maybe in time you might be well enough to take on a low stress part time job ( not in teaching) to supplement your ill health pension if you get it. It really is soul destroying to see this happening to teachers.

1970devon and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  20. Julieann69

Julieann69 New commenter

hi