1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ill health retirement... what to do next???

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jo4nn4, Sep 26, 2017.

1. jo4nn4

jo4nn4 New commenter

I have been awarded enhanced benefits via the Teachers Pension Scheme, meaning that I cannot do any form of gainful employment, they even state this includes volunteering!!
    What can I do now?
    I cannot think of what I am supposed to do to fill my life and make it purposeful. I am under 40 so there are many years ahead ....but currently filled with nothing.
    Anyone in the same position, what are you doing with your days?
    Or can anyone see a way I can manage do something with my time?

install likes this.
  2. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Are you sure about volunteering? That does not fall into the category of 'gainful employment' since you are not being paid.

Lots of volunteering opportunities at Citizens Advice, with as much commitment as you want to make. A fantastic organisation that values individuals. Keeps the grey matter ticking over and values your contribution. I love it there!

3. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

So sorry to hear this. I'm retired and very busy. Italian lessons, choir, bookclub and days out along with gardening, swimming and walking.

4. install

install Star commenter

Start taking A Levels - one per year or an OU degree...

You will become a genius on no time at all.

frangipani123 and FrankWolley like this.
  5. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

How will you manage financially? :(

slingshotsally likes this.
  6. jo4nn4

jo4nn4 New commenter

Hi. It states volunteer work cannot be undertaken and I will have to write a letter before I undertake any type of work, to check if it effects my pension payments.
    What do CAB suggest in this case?
    Do they actually class 'gainful employment' as just gaining pay, rather than gaining anything personally??

7. jo4nn4

jo4nn4 New commenter

Thanks for worrying about me, luckily I am just about the same as I did before, as I've finally paid off my student loans etc. My salary minus the debt I had to pay didn't leave me with much before all this.

But that is something the Teachers pension don't seem to contemplate. However, I wouldn't earn anymore if I did work, due to the condition I have, so I wouldn't work much anyway.

julieshaun, emerald52 and Dunteachin like this.
  8. jo4nn4

jo4nn4 New commenter

Thanks.... but this isn't normal retirement. I not able to be too busy, because of my medical condition.

julieshaun and emerald52 like this.
  9. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I have a Teachers Pension and volunteer 20+ hours per week for CAB. Other than through my current illness, I could do paid work - just could not go anywhere near a school or teaching again.

Do clarify with TP. There are other retired teachers in my Bureaux also in receipt of pension. Is yours one of the ones that precludes any kind of work at all? We have receptionists who do just 3 or 4 hours per week.

10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

If you like cricket, that takes up a fair bit of time (35 days this year for me!) Or other sports...

Otherwise studying, creative activities, historical or genealogical research, travel.... The opportunities are endless!

nizebaby and install like this.
  11. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Sounds like hell to me.

12. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

You can read novels by getting second-hand books from the Salvation Army shop or use the library. Films, subject to the cost are a good use of time. Try YouTube. Music is always good and try to get somewhere to live that is quiet and where you can have a little garden area with a bench. Containers and pots are easy to maintain.

If you can afford to drive and can get on the mobility scheme it might be nice to make regular trips to the coast.

I know it might be difficult if your energy levels are low or you aren't feeling well all the time but try to get a good home routine going.

My mum's retired and I really envy her. I always tell her I'd have my housework and related work boxed off by noon and then I'd chill out for the rest of the day. Radio 4 isn't what it was but you could get into listening all day.

Avoid daytime television.

Structure is the key.

Planning is everything.

It might not suit everyone but I enjoyed long periods of unemployment reading Philosophy and just thinking about things. You could also live by night when it's quieter.

Sorry to hear about your situation but you can turn it to your advantage.

You have time and that is precious.

13. jo4nn4

jo4nn4 New commenter

Thank you for your supportive comments. However I am unable to do anything for long, especially studying, writing, reading and using a computer. Anything wipes me out and makes my chronic pin condition a lot worse. So many of your thoughts are just not manageable.

emerald52 likes this.
  14. jo4nn4

jo4nn4 New commenter

Thank you so much for finding out so much for me.
    It would be really useful to know if the other volunteers on TP were ever told about not being able to volunteer but yet have been allowed to do the hours you mention.

I have been awarded the enhanced level (higher tier) from the TPS. This states that I am not allowed to return to work as a teacher OR any other employment.

emerald52 likes this.
  15. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I am no expert and a lot depends upon your personal condition and type of health,
    I would agree with Jude that getting into a routine is good,but to occasionally break the routine is also good to add interest to life,Not sure where you are, but firstly you need others you can talk to.so a support group of friends are important.Next see if you can arrange transport to events.even a trip into a town,mull around and a coffee before home is good. You might even be able to join a group that does holidays for the disabled( in the sense you are unable to undertake normal duties so are disabled).
    You need to arrange you finances so you have some 'pleasures' no matter how little and maybe even find neighbours you can chat and visit.some will, some wont.
    Because we know little of you, your interests and location one can only offer general advice
    The first great thing to learn is that your are possible going to be where you are for a long time...once you can be 'happy' in that mind you can then plan your life. I hope you do and don't have to hard a life.........but I assume you realise that.Keep in touch with here as there is a huge wealth of knowledge and experiences around on this forum. The folk will try to help the genuine....but make sue of the teacher support services and the other forums.
    I so ope you manage well x

jo4nn4, chelsea2 and frangipani123 like this.
  16. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I have a friend who had enhanced teacher’s pension due to her ill health. She was not allowed to do any paid work such as tutoring but did do a little volunteering in a local school just one session a week. But do check this as you wouldn’t want to lose your pension.

install likes this.
  17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Are we at cross purposes over the definition of employment? I would think that unpaid volunteering would be fine whereas anything paid activity would not be. Most volunteering is entirely unpaid.

As you are ill your life has limitations that a healthy retiree doesn't have to cope with but I would hope that an excellent organisation like CAB could offer you something that would help you feel valued and provide interest for you.

nizebaby, jo4nn4 and FrankWolley like this.
  18. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

Are they saying that you can't do voluntary work because you've been deemed unfit to work at all, ie your condition prevents you from being able to do it. Wouldn't voluntary work be difficult if you have fluctuating energy?

I agree that some sort of loose routine is a good idea, some activities where you can be with people but have plenty of time to rest. Is there a support group or charity related to your condition - perhaps they have activities you could join. Other than that there are meet up groups for all sorts of interests.

Can you do things online like learning a language, research your family tree, write a book - you could break these down into manageable chunks. There are some great podcasts online, you can also access library books and magazines online.

Can you manage financially, are you saying that you coped before on what you earned after deductions and you are receiving something similar now? I hope that's the case but could you investigate if you are entitled to any other benefits?

19. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I'm no lawyer, nor an expert on the TPS scheme...But it seems strange to me that anyone can eb banned from volunteering, which is clearly very different from paid employment. I really think he OP should question this (assuming that volunteering is something they wish to do, of course).

jo4nn4 and emerald52 like this.
  20. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

i think that one problem might be that if your capable or work,even as a volunteer it could be deemed your able to work.So to make sure that doesn't happen you don't volunteer either...I hope I am wrong but people disabled( by illness or injury) and on benefits have been found to lead almost normal lives despite supposedly being ill.