1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ill health retirement granted - how to end contract

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by HigherSp, Sep 6, 2019.

1. HigherSp

HigherSp New commenter

I would appreciate advice from those of you who have already left your teaching role due to ill health retirement.

TPS have awarded me tier 1. I need to agree a date with school to leave, having been sick leave for 11 months. Is it just a case of mutually agreeing an end date or should they be offering payment in lieu, notice period, etc?

I have been given conflicting advice by my union rep. and the LEA, so just wondering what other people's experiences have been. Thanks in advance

2. pmichelmore

pmichelmore New commenter

As you’ve been off for 11 months should be very straightforward. You have 6 weeks to do it from the date you were awarded IHR. You need to contact your Head to agree the date.
    I was awarded 2 months pay in lieu of notice but that’s only because my Head was a good bloke.
    The hard parts over, the rest should be a formality.
    Congrats and good luck.

3. HigherSp

HigherSp New commenter

Thanks very much for your reply. The school/LEA are not offering me any payment in lieu, so looking like my contract just ends.