1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ill health retirement cost to school

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by emeralds, Oct 17, 2019.

1. emeralds

emeralds New commenter

Hi All. I am in the middle of applying for ill health retirement. Today I received an email from my LA HR department saying that they were going to fill in section 10 of the retirement form. They attached a breakdown of what I would receive. (I am less than two years off my retirement date.) I was shocked to see that if I succeed with my ill health retirement then my underfunded school are expected to contribute to my pension. This is just over £2000 a year. They also have to contribute to my lump sum. They will have to pay this £2000 every year. I feel very bad about it as it is taking money from the school and they really need it. Is there anything I can do about it? Has anyone got any experience of this? I am thinking that maybe the LA could pay it. I have written to my union for their thoughts but no reply yet. Thank you.

2. Lucy2711

Lucy2711 Occasional commenter

I absolutely understand your disquiet. It seems especially strange when it's an LA school. Whilst I doubt it, is there any chance the school could be covered by insurance?

emeralds likes this.
  3. emeralds

emeralds New commenter

Thanks for your help. I will see if they are covered by insurance.

4. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I am surprised by this. I thought employers only contributed to Premature Retirement eg when a school makes a teacher redundant and it is agreed that they can access their pension early with no reduction. Do follow it up with TPS and your union.

emeralds and lindenlea like this.
  5. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

Whatever the truth, the act of sending you an email to inform you that they’d have to pay is an utter disgrace.

If it’s not true, whoever authorised it needs the sack.

How dare anyone apply that sort of pressure to someone who’s ill?

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

7. emeralds

emeralds New commenter

Thanks so much for your kind replies. It really has upset me as it just seems so unfair but I am going to phone TP this morning and also my union.

8. emeralds

emeralds New commenter

I have just phoned TP. As an LA school the school are not required to do anything and it is the LA that pay. I have also emailed the HR person to say that they should make this clear as it did upset me at what is already a difficult time.

Sundaytrekker likes this.
  9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'm glad you sorted that out. Good luck with the application I do hope it all goes smoothly. This is the time to think about what you need, try not to worry about other things relating to school.

emeralds likes this.
  10. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Absolutely disgusted that you have been embroiled in this and at such a vulnerable time!:eek: Whoever pays for what should not be your concern, just adjusting to your new life and creating the best of health.

Wishing you a wonderful retirement!:)

Cat

FrankWolley and emeralds like this.