1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ill During Term-Time

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by sally90, Oct 25, 2017.

1. sally90

sally90 Occasional commenter

This is a little bit self-indulgent,but please allow me! I'm sure(well-at least I hope!) other new Retirees might recognise where I'm coming from on this one!

October just wouldn't be the same if I didn't catch something,and despite now being away from that germ breeding - ground called School,I managed to pass out last week while on one of my lunch dates with friends-embarrassing to say the least!I've since been in a fairly rotten state with some sort of virus -type thing but I'm now loads better and managed to go out on my own today for the first time.

The thing is this...
    I didn't have to worry about having to get up after a delirious night to phone school personally; I didn't have to ring back later that afternoon to confirm that I was staying off; I wasn't worried that my class would be acting up for the supply teacher;I didn't need to worry about struggling to get a GP appointment just for the sake of getting a note; I didn't have that constant nagging feeling of guilt nor the unspoken pressure to get back as soon as possible and I didn't need to worry about doing the planning for my return. Instead,I've had time to recover on my own terms,to take my time over it and not to push myself into trying to do things before I'm ready.

I think it's made a HUGE difference to my recovery.Too often in our previous lives we've all been guilty I'm sure,of not allowing these illnesses to run their course and we've all struggled in while feeling rotten,always worried about the guilt,convinced that all is going to rack and ruin without us!

thistledoo, ljr, bevdex and 3 others like this.
  2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Absolutely.

The Easter after i retired early (I was just 57 at the time), I fell ill. I was in hospital for several weeks, and very weak when I left. Had I been in work I would have missed the whole of the Summer term. And then more time in the Autumn term as I had to return for an operation. It was a very stressful time...but would have been far, far worse had I still been working as I would have felt guilty, especially for all the GCSE/A level classes I taught..

thistledoo and PeterQuint like this.