1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

iLanguages year 8

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by macmods, Jul 5, 2012.

1. We have bought the SOW for iLanguages and it seems totally rubbish - lots of random second rate powerpoints that could have easily beeen thrown together school drive scraps and no individual lesson plans. We don't have a clue where to start with it. Does anyone have experience of using this? It cost us 500 pounds so we would like to try and get some use out of it but it seems awful.

2. cake4tea

cake4tea New commenter

We have used it according to the scheme of work provided, and it's revolutionised the motivation in 7, 8 and at the top end of 9. There are some errors on the worksheets, but if you could throw the powerpoints together in a few minutes you're much more technically adept than me. What it does lack is a grammar reference book. Give it a run - it helps the pupils, promotes independent learning and got us a rave review from an OFSTED inspectort for literacy and independent learning.

3. I' mquite interested in this - what does it consist of, please?
    What sort of things does it cover?

4. Langwitch

Langwitch New commenter

We have implimented 1 unit per year. It seems fine but a bit daunting if you're not used to that kind of thing. The bit that concerns me about it, is how I can assess it...am working on that.
    Pupils really like it as it's a bit different. We are doing Chocolate at the moment.

5. I'm going to try the Art unit after half term and am just planning it all out now to make sure I understand it. I love the idea. A couple of years ago, we tried a cross curricular year where Languages worked with Humanities and Creative with themes including Romans, Antarctica which pupils coped well with. There were some issues with it but the potential for MFL was huge. I'd like to go down that kind of route again.

6. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Anna, you might want to have a look at my CLIL resources on art as well, they're uploaded on tes. Might come in handy.

7. Hi Anna

I wonder how you have found it teaching the art module from iLangauges? My department is currently making decisions about the curriculum for next year, particularly looking for something engaging and relevant, and for us a focus is middle-ability boys. If you have the time to let us know about your experiences with this resource and how it was received by the students we would be very grateful!

Claire

8. ambi

ambi New commenter

We invested in this last year but a number of errors on it make me cringe, though there are some very good bits too

9. We have felt that the ilanguages promised a lot but has failed to really deliver. We felt disappointed that the resources had inaccuracies and that all three languages are exactly the same (we bought all three).
    Some of the ideas are great.
    One of my colleagues used the <u>art</u> unit in Year 7 as a stimulus to creating some absolutely fantastic resources in French on shape and adjectival endings, which are ten times better than the ones provided by ilanguages.
    We have done a lot of work on monsters and parts of the body which pupils enjoyed.
    The units are not differentiated and have needed a lot of re-writing to fit into a Year 7 where most pupils do two languages (and therefore have only a couple of hours of each a week) and those that only do one language have other additional needs, which cannot cope with the powerpoint-based approach.

10. We have been using the iLanguages schemes of work in French for the last 2 years and they have made a really positive impact on motivation at KS3. The topics and ideas like body art, football and chocolate have been a breath of fresh air compared to most textbooks and have been commented on positively in lesson observations by Ofsted.

We have added our own materials and differentiated activities but this is what we would do normally in any scheme of work. I think it forms the basis of a motivating curriculum that meets our students' needs and interests but you need to be prepared to think out of the box and it means teaching in a different style perhaps with less teacher-led and more independent learning.

11. I use the ilanguages schemes of work and whilst they might take a bit of
    getting used to for teachers who are used to following text books, I
    find the variety of materials and themes motivate the pupils in the
    school where I work. It would take me hours to pull these ideas
    together so I think they are a time saver.

I do have to tweak some of
    the materials for lower ability learners but I'd have to do that for any
    scheme including text books. The year 9 film resources proved to be a
    real winner with my students who really got into the characters and the
    plot.

12. The ilanguages resources are designed for teachers who wish to deliver something different to pupils, other than text book teaching. We often hear of teachers getting rave reviews from Ofsted and also hearing how they've switched on the most disaffected learners.

No scheme of work will fit exactly every learner of every ability and whilst it is designed for learners who have done some primary MFL and tis therefore aimed at the more able learners, there are in some cases simplified versions of the worksheets. We include word documents in the schemes and the PowerPoints aren't locked so that teachers can easily adapt if they need to. We also have to cater for those lucky schools who still have 3 (and even 4) lessons per week at key stage 3 and therefore there are plenty of materials to pick and choose from.

We are sorry to hear that some of you are still using the materials that were created in the early days when our proof readers who were experienced in their work let us down. If you are using a scheme with errors in please email us as we can send you the latest version out.

Please note also that the quoted figure from an earlier post of £500 is incorrect - our full year schemes of work are less than that and teachers also have the option of buying separate modules.

If you need an updated version, please do not hesitate to contact us on: hello@ilanguages.co.uk

13. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

"We are sorry to hear that some of you are still using the materials that were created in the early days when our proof readers who were experienced in their work let us down."

We bought our I-Languages resources just before the summer, and I've just spent an hour and a half correcting spelling and grammar errors and altering places where the resource has been adapted from another language and has some of the original language left in. We will be in touch, most definitely, but we're not particularly impressed with the quality - particularly given that there are so many excellent free resources out there.