1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ignoring the phone....

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Deirds, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

For various reasons I have not been available for Supply recently. I did let my agency know but you probably all know that they can't cope with information..

By coincidence my phone has been on silent so I have missed some of their calls..

Listening to voicemails asking me to do 30 mile trips to cover an afternoon with Reception....

It's so liberating to be able to laugh at them..

I know I should get back in touch to update them but I don't really want to encourage them at the moment.

Good luck to everyone. I find waiting for the non-existent phone calls the worst part of Supply...

Caldwellthe1 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  2. Caldwellthe1

Caldwellthe1 New commenter

This is the nature of supply
    When you are available and waiting work is non-existent, when you cannot do work for whatever reason the phone never stops
    A cumbersome way to earn a living with too many people doing it now.
    How tenable is it for the future? Who knows

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  3. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Yes, I wish I got even half as many phone calls when I am available...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. emmalcm1

emmalcm1 Established commenter

I bet that is strangely satisfying when they're asking you to do such ridiculous things that are clearly not worth your while :)

I've just started a new job this week (non teaching) and have had 2 discussions with what was my main agency about it over the last couple of weeks...they said they were sorry to see me go etc etc....but I'm still getting loads of emails/ texts about work they have available so someone somewhere clearly hasn't taken on board the message!

5. rainbowsparkle

rainbowsparkle New commenter

They're just greedy, really. They want the commission. Last week, I told a consultant my availability THREE times on three different occasions and he still phoned twice to offer me work on days I'd said I was working. They just push their luck all the time. His reasoning? "I just want to put you to work." If it had been a face-to-face convo instead of the phone, he would've got a kick in the nuts for that one.

sopsychedout and emmalcm1 like this.
  6. emmalcm1

emmalcm1 Established commenter

I don't blame you!

sopsychedout likes this.
  7. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Emmalcm - I hope the new job is going well.

It is very satisfying. Phone was accidentally on silent so I just get the voicemails (and texts and emails).

I've emailed them again today so I'll feel a bit less guilty next week ( only felt a smudge of guilt - I told one branch of the agency but perhaps not this lot).

8. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Ah, just spotted your your new job update on another thread.

I'm glad it's turning out well. I'm sure you're very tempted to give up your holidays to do odd bits of supply (not). Nice to have your hard work appreciated though.

9. heva88

heva88 New commenter

I'm so happy that my agency text through bookings. I cannot stand the constant calling and guilt tripping you to work in a school you don't really want to.

Saying that, i'm moving and will need to move agencies...... So, I will be enjoying these calls soon!