1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ignoring bad behaviour

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pleasetryharder, Jun 29, 2011.

1. A couple of weeks ago a child (not in my class) was disobedient and verbally defiant at the end of break time. To avoid a public confrontation, I decided to speak to him later, but was told by Head of Year to ignore the behaviour and not tackle him about it, in case he "kicked off" as a result.This made me wonder, is that in fact the right thing to do? Is it ever OK to ignore openly bad behaviour in order to avoid even worse? Isn't this like rewarding the behaviour, and what about the mixed messages the other children are getting? What do others think?

2. Perhaps they meant just to not deal with it straightaway as the child might be angry/upset. I would, however, want to talk about it later when everyone had had a chance to calm down. It's important for the child, apart from anything else, to have the chance to talk through what happened and try to understand why, and to develop skills for dealing with similiar circumstances in future.

3. No. I was told to let it drop.

4. OK if just a one off, but from the sound of your post I don't think so. We have a similar problem in our school. The teacher tried to 'ignore' persistent disruptions by one pupil and looked for the positives. All this did was build up resentment within the class and strengthen their perception of unfair treatment. This eventually filtered through to some very unhappy parents. This type of behaviour has to be seen to be dealt with.

5. I actually think that's pretty poor. I wouldn't let my own children get away with that as they would think they have carte blanche next time.
    Not fair to the other children who would be told off in the same scenario, not fair to the child involved, who now has no clear expectation or boundary.

6. There is no way I would ever not challenge poor behaviour.
    It shows inconsitency and if there is something that children value and respect above all it is consistency.
    Just as milliebear said