1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ignore it?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by purplecardigan, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Ok, I think I know the answer to this (ignore it) and it's not really a dilemma but.....
    I have taken on an extra class (as a goodwill gesture) covering for a long term sick colleague. Said colleague has taught the class for a couple of years and is very popular. I think my style is different and I occasionally get inklings that some students resent the change of teacher/style.
    Today I got the class to sign a Get Well card for him. It's a large class and several of the students wrote comments such as "sincerely cannot wait for your return' and 'please come back soon - can't wait' etc. implying they can't wait to see the back of me. They knew I would see these comments. I know they liked and enjoyed their previous teacher but considering how hard I work to try and give them quality lessons and the fact I like and enjoy the class it's made me feel really c**p (over -sensitive?).

2. Ok, I think I know the answer to this (ignore it) and it's not really a dilemma but.....
    I have taken on an extra class (as a goodwill gesture) covering for a long term sick colleague. Said colleague has taught the class for a couple of years and is very popular. I think my style is different and I occasionally get inklings that some students resent the change of teacher/style.
    Today I got the class to sign a Get Well card for him. It's a large class and several of the students wrote comments such as "sincerely cannot wait for your return' and 'please come back soon - can't wait' etc. implying they can't wait to see the back of me. They knew I would see these comments. I know they liked and enjoyed their previous teacher but considering how hard I work to try and give them quality lessons and the fact I like and enjoy the class it's made me feel really c**p (over -sensitive?).

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

You can never win over a class by trying to be something you are not. It doesn't work and the class see through it.
    If the previous teacher had had the class for a while, then the class is going to miss him, and it is no slur on you. It is just the way of things. I would continue teaching as you are, doing a good job, and sooner or later the students will start appreciating it. Your job is to make sure the teaching is done appropriately. The rest is nice but sometimes it just doesn't happen.

4. What did you expect them to put in the card? 'Hope you don't get better and never return' or 'Don't hurry back, we like having purplecardigan teaching us'?

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'd feel upset as well, but not for any sensible reason. Definitely just ignore it and get over it.

Pupils always look back at their previous teacher with rose tinted glasses. My current class currently love their last teacher, but only because I've had to be rather cross and stern with them recently. My last class, now in the room next door, regularly say they want me back...again generally when things aren't going exactly their way.

They'll get over it soon enough. And so must you.

6. Don't you have classes you like more than others? Sometimes, you just have better relationships with classes you know very well, or have a certain history with. Remember too that absence makes the heart grow fonder. A few years ago I worked at the worst school of my life - I resigned after five weeks. The kids in the very very worst class who had been evil toads to me the whole time then decided they loved me after all and wanted me to stay. I didn't. Kids are fickle things - chin up.

7. Thank you - you have made me feel better!

8. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I seem to remember one pupil who complained they didn't like their teacher each year, and they'd rather be taught by one of the others. In a three teacher department, they did actually manage to go full cycle and end up clamouring for one they'd already complained about.

9. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I can understand why on a day where you feel tired/ hormonal/ over worked you might feel the pinch of upset. But I think I would quash that and grow thicker skin - do think how lovely that will make the teacher on long term sick feel to know they are missed and have made an impact on those pupils.... Imagine if you were off on long term sick - surely you would hope to vaguely be missed by your classes?

10. p1j39

p1j39 New commenter

Maybe you should sign the card saying how you wish the original teacher back soon. After all, it will free up part of your week...

11. Quality advice this...

Now give the little bergers triple homework.[​IMG]
    After a short homily about new brooms, 'not here to be loved' etc etc. Make sure it sounds like one of your middle managers.[​IMG]

12. I used to share a class with a colleague. When I walked in at the beginning of the lesson, half the class would cheer, half the class would groan! My colleague had much the same experience. We both found this amusing, partly because it wasn't always the same kids cheering or groaning.
    Fickle but funny.