1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

iGCSEs

Discussion in 'English' started by Johnfrank63, Jun 16, 2011.

1. See my post - also entitled igcse further down the list! There are some very interesting points made!

2. manc

manc New commenter

My school liked the edexcel, the choice of texts on the Wjec IGCSE s very limited and strange.

3. Aye, the Edexcel one is what I believe the kids are calling 'sick'. It 'merks' the other specs.

4. manc

manc New commenter

Safe!
    You is well down wiv' da kidz, innit, blud?

5. i-mod

i-mod New commenter

The AQA IGCSE is being promoted as suited to the needs of UK state schools as well as others here and abroad. They offer a part-exam/part coursework option as well as an all-exam option. The coursework is free text and task choice for Literature and the exams are H and F tier with a very explicit split focus in questions on text and reader response. See AQA website for approved spec and details of meetings around the country. (If you can't find IGCSE, try Certificate.)

6. i-mod

i-mod New commenter

And thanks for adding to my stock of Spoken Language Study items!

7. manc

manc New commenter

In what sense, sir?

8. Cheers for the responses. I have looked at them all and I think AQA may suit us best. We are not liking the controlled assessments and we did a mock exam and the results were awful (current AQA GCSE). The meetings are all full in London, must be a lot considering changing!

9. manc

manc New commenter

I agree. The booked-out meetings tell their own story.

10. Just been on the phone to AQA and they have said that they are not approved for leauge tables yet but most importantly, the awarding certificate won't say GCSE or iGCSE anywhere. They will only call them Level 2 Certificates and that is all kids will be able to call them on CVs. I just can't see the parents at my school going for this at all. Why are they calling them iGCSEs when they are not?!

11. The awarding certificate can't say GCSE anywhere on it, as dictated by Ofqual:"The title ‘IGCSE' will not be accepted for accreditation purposes at this time. There are no criteria for this title and it could therefore be confusing to users, creating an expectation of consistency with GCSE requirements that may be unfounded. The title ‘certificate' would be accepted and awarding organisations are free to propose other titles."
    The certificates were always referred to as iGCSEs before Ofqual made the above statement, so it's purely historical.
    All exam boards are using the new ‘Certificate' naming convention for these qualifications in the UK, so expect awareness of Level 1/2 certificates to increase and perception to improve as more and more schools sign up to teach them.
    Certificates at Level 1/2 carry exactly the same weight as a GCSE, but they are a different qualification, offering greater freedom and creativity than more traditional GCSE specifications.

12. Thanks for the response but it would be a hard sell at my kind of school, as much as I prefer the course. The parents would just baulk at anything without the word GCSE, especially English.

13. I note that the Ofqual statement says 'at this time'. On the basis that IGCSEs are one of Gove's pet projects, perhaps a few hundred emails might make him do something about the omission of the letters 'IGCSE' on the certificate. Have just emailed him using his parliament contact email address. The specs are so appealing and this is surely a solvable problem - let's hope he can see his way to cutting through the bureaucracy. It's also worth noting that universities will have no hesitation in accepting it nor, if my lengthy employer phoning session on Friday afternoon is anything to go by, will employers.

14. By the way, the 'statement of intent' from the DfE, confirming that they will count towards performance tables/English Bac is due on 28th June.

15. i-mod

i-mod New commenter

As with all specs, it's not just what is offered in the quick overview - it's how much support for teaching you get. If AQA puts in the backing it's always given other specs, this could be the clincher. If meetings are full, they may be running extras. Or get yourself out of London - the BBC has to!

16. Have just posted this in the other IGCSE topic...

We're running an IGCSE English conference in Essex on 5th July, with all four major exam boards attending. We've got spare places at the moment, although there is a small fee to cover our costs. You can get details from our blog: englishmattersessex.blogspot.com.

17. We have gone with CIE - the originators... resources are pricey but excellent and there is a good track record. Liked the options in comparison with Edexcel. Happy to discuss/share ideas: jwp@sloughgrammar.berks.sch.uk

18. sunflower48

sunflower48 New commenter

I am not too sure about this if there is no creditation. I think just because a teacher does not like the controlled assessment structure they would consider switching to iGCSE and that is a risky move that can only affect students. Until everyone, including higher education and employer,s accept it in the same light as GCSE it seems that we have to stick with the new GCSEs.

19. To clarify, the AQA IGCSEs in Lang and Lit have already been accredited by Ofqual. An announcment is due from DfE on 28th June to confirm that they will count towards performance tables and English Bac.

20. I spoke to the Colleges the majority of my students go on to and all of them had absolutely no problem with IGCSE. Cambridge IGCSE are fully accredited.