1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IGCSE

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by castellano7, Nov 29, 2011.

1. castellano7

castellano7 New commenter

Hi,
    I wondered if anyone has any experience of preparing pupils for the IGCSE? I am currently teaching Spanish to a Year 9 pupil privately (her brother came to me for help with GCSE French and her mum said she wanted to learn Spanish and asked if I could teach her). She is very bright, and has picked up everything I have taught, grammar and vocabulary, very quickly. With her mother, we have discussed entering her for a GCSE exam this summer or the following one. I investigated entering her for AQA GCSE, but although I found a school willing to let her sit the L and R exams, AQA does not allow private candidates to enter for the controlled assessment, it must be done at an examination centre. So I have considered entering her for the IGCSE, probably not this summer, as it's too soon, but I'm a bit nervous as I don't have any experience of teaching it. I've had a look at hte syllabus and past papers and it is definitely harder than 'normal' GCSEs, though I don't think it is impossible for a bright pupil, with the right preparation. Does anyone have any experience or views on the IGCSE? I've only heard of private schools entering pupils for it so far, though it says on the website that there is funidng for state schools to become centres too.
    I would really appreciate any advice or experience of entering pupils for this exam.

2. castellano7

castellano7 New commenter

Hi,
    I wondered if anyone has any experience of preparing pupils for the IGCSE? I am currently teaching Spanish to a Year 9 pupil privately (her brother came to me for help with GCSE French and her mum said she wanted to learn Spanish and asked if I could teach her). She is very bright, and has picked up everything I have taught, grammar and vocabulary, very quickly. With her mother, we have discussed entering her for a GCSE exam this summer or the following one. I investigated entering her for AQA GCSE, but although I found a school willing to let her sit the L and R exams, AQA does not allow private candidates to enter for the controlled assessment, it must be done at an examination centre. So I have considered entering her for the IGCSE, probably not this summer, as it's too soon, but I'm a bit nervous as I don't have any experience of teaching it. I've had a look at hte syllabus and past papers and it is definitely harder than 'normal' GCSEs, though I don't think it is impossible for a bright pupil, with the right preparation. Does anyone have any experience or views on the IGCSE? I've only heard of private schools entering pupils for it so far, though it says on the website that there is funidng for state schools to become centres too.
    I would really appreciate any advice or experience of entering pupils for this exam.