1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IGCSE

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Delightful, May 17, 2011.

1. I am considering doing the CIE IGCSE next year with my students - at a mixed comp.
    Can anyone tell me what the exam fees are, as when I look on the website you have to log in as a centre to get them?
    I would also like to know what anyone thinks about it. - Problems, issues, successes?
    Could I start it in Yr9?
    Thanks

2. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

I taught this course for a couple of years, it's fab and is a genuine test of kids skills. Those who pass this can genuinely use software. However, that's the issue a lot of kids find this course hard and without the coursework element you may be placed under pressure from above to explain potential grade drops. If all schools had to run with it that would be nirvana, but we don't and frankly I would not go back to it with mixed ability kids and the pressure of departmental success.
    Could you start it in year 9, well I guess but I would only do so if I planned to take the exam in year 11 and run it over 3 years. It's a great course but the grades would not be strong IME.