1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IGCSE to A Levels (CIE)

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by missmuon, Jun 9, 2011.

1. missmuon

missmuon New commenter

In this non-selective school which started last year, the students are studying 7 IGCSE subjects, namely Chinese, ESL, Business Studies, Maths, Additional Maths, Physics and Chemistry.
    What do other schools (yours!) offer?
    About half the class will pass 4 or less subjects. It looks like the school will admit anyone to the AS class in September if the student wants.
    What entry criteria does your school use for the transition from IGCSE to A Levels?
    Is it advisable for a student to start A-levels without 5 GCSE's including Maths and English? I haven't checked the CIE documents yet.
    What advice would you give to the school management?
    And one other thing.
    What do you teach the students after they finish their exams, till the end of term in Mid July?

2. minimum entry to a level - gcse grade b.
    perhaps teach them some humanities until mid-july.

3. At my school, admission to Y12 depends on having a pulse and a parent with a wallet.

4. Think yourself lucky - the local 6th Form college round here doesn't even require the wallet.

5. The wallet can be a double-edged sword, my friend [​IMG]

6. Policies adopted in order to keep a newly born business ticking over are not necessarily going to form part of the fabric of the place in years to come......
    What country are you in? Do you know how many IGCSEs or ASs or A levels are required of your students to receive appropriate recognition by the host nation?
    I work in Spain.....so long as they have at least 5 IGCSEs our pupils only need 2 A levels.....and one of them can be A level Spanish which is hardly challenging to native speakers of Spanish........