1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

iGCSE - Physical Education

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by ckcrhs, Aug 16, 2019.

1. ckcrhs

ckcrhs New commenter

Evening all,

Firstly, our schools are forced to do iGCSE's (Isle of Man).

Just wondering who if any other schools do this either by choice or being instructed to do so.

In the 3 years we've been doing CIE, our practical marks have been consistently hammered and reduced. Is this the same with other schools?

Interested in general discussion!

Thanks.

2. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

I can't help you with PE, but I do find this to be the case with CIE. Back when state secondary schools were still allowed to do iGCSEs, CIE always brought our Department's English Language coursework and speaking/listening marks down (once by 4 marks!), whereas AQA and Edexcel never once changed our Literature coursework marks.

3. ckcrhs

ckcrhs New commenter

Thank you for your reply! Interesting to see that it appears not to be subject specific.

Out of curiosity, you say 'state secondary schools were still allowed to do iGCSEs' - is it the case that you cannot now do this?

Apologies for my ignorance. Our education runs slightly differently.

4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Lead commenter

no, we can't do it now