1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IGCSE PE from the beginning!

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by craigmurphy, Mar 21, 2012.

1. I have recently taken a job in Saudi and an expectation is for students to undertake IGCSE PE. The school has no previous teacher so I will be starting from scratch,. Can anyone give me some advice please?[​IMG]

2. I have recently taken a job in Saudi and an expectation is for students to undertake IGCSE PE. The school has no previous teacher so I will be starting from scratch,. Can anyone give me some advice please?[​IMG]

3. http://www.cie.org.uk/qualifications/academic/middlesec/igcse/subject?assdef_id=877

There you go.

4. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Whereabouts in Saudi are you going/which school? (Be a bit ctyptic or else your thread will be pulled!)

5. momentofclarity

momentofclarity New commenter

Try to find out how many students will be taking the course, and then contact the exam board to see if they have a local (Saudi) contact who will act as a moderator for the practical exam. Without this you will be videoing for moderation, and although not overly difficult it is time-consuming and requires a much different approach.

What kind of students? Locals or expats? Either way there is a considerable amount of theory material that requires quite a bit of local knowledge about UK sport and activity initiatives (the Edexcel spec anyway, not sure about CIE). Figure out what you will be for resources to support students who in all likelihood have no frame of reference for PESSCL or similar UK based programs.

Finally, find out the facility and timetable restrictions. If you don't have a football pitch (at least a small one) it is unlikely you will be able to effectively offer it as a practical activity, if the majority of the curriculum is water based familiarize yourself with all the necessary options. Athletics is usually tricky in schools with limited space as offering authentic assessment for the runs is very difficult.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM, I was in UAE for four years in what seems like a similar situation. GOOD LUCK!

6. Thanks for this, however, this was the first place I went to and gathered information. I was after advice from people who had been in similar situations.

7. I am currently in Jeddah at an International school. and we teach IGCSE PE I am happy to help you out with ideas if you like? It is holidays after this week but i can call you or email or something when I get back on the 22nd.

Let me know.

8. Thank you that would be more than appreciated

9. karenolooney

karenolooney New commenter

Hi all,

I'm teaching IGCSE PE for the 2nd time. I've been told from my school principal why am I allowing students to do the most popular sports like football, basketball etc that are open skilled rather then gymnastics and athletics. Can anyone provide feedback on this and recommend sports that would get good grades?

Also I live in Poland so does anyone know where I could get a moderator to come instead of videos?

10. ryantawmat

ryantawmat New commenter

Can someone provide me with grade threshold for this year. I know students have two do the practicals wihich are then divided by 4 which is = 50% + 10% analysis of performances + 40% theory. My request is when u had these up what are grade boundaries to give a student a predicted grade i.e what makes a C,A,D etc.

11. ryantawmat

ryantawmat New commenter

When
    When you are making the sports that u will teach for students to later chooose from, u need to consider the availability of resources in your school and the surrounding areas. As for moderation u can use another PE teacher within your school or your athletics director to moderate it or someone with expertise in certain areas that u want moderated