1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IGCSE or EDEXCEL Certificate

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by tattyb, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Hi All - We are beginning the EDEXCEL certificate courses in French Spanish and German with this year's Y10. Is anybody else?
    I wanted to set up a kind of support netwrok, where we can ask questions and share thoughts. Any interest from people on this forum?

We are all half excited, and half nervous about beginning. We all love the stucture of the course and style of exams, but are worried about how that first set of results will compare to previous ones, and also, other schoools!
    Anyway, if you are interested in this post, reply, and hopefully we can bump it to the top during the course of the next two years whenever we have a question.

2. Hi All - We are beginning the EDEXCEL certificate courses in French Spanish and German with this year's Y10. Is anybody else?
    I wanted to set up a kind of support netwrok, where we can ask questions and share thoughts. Any interest from people on this forum?

We are all half excited, and half nervous about beginning. We all love the stucture of the course and style of exams, but are worried about how that first set of results will compare to previous ones, and also, other schoools!
    Anyway, if you are interested in this post, reply, and hopefully we can bump it to the top during the course of the next two years whenever we have a question.

3. Kleeblatt

Kleeblatt New commenter

Hi ya,
    We are kind of trialling it with German Y10 next year but if we like it we'll go for all 3 langs. Have exactly the same fears as you - 100% examined after 2 years with no clue what they'll come out with is pretty scary but after this years dodgy CA marking (In my opinion) I'm glad to be moving away from CA and that is enough of a draw for me. I'm going to go on one of the courses in the Autumn - but having looked at the markschemes it all just seems a bit less vague and I really like the idea of tying skills together, particularly R&W. I also just feel that this kind of course is SO much more likely to have students come out at the end able to manipulate the language not just regurgitate things they have learnt rote.

We'll see but hopefully it represents and improvement

4. Thanks for your reply - we are moving for exactly the same reasons, just can't do CA anymore, and the IGCSE is very close to what we did before CA came along. We never did the old coursework, and always got good results, results actually dropped a bit when CA came along!

Are we the only two doing the new course?
    As far as i can see, the certificate and the IGCSE are exactly the same. Is anyone currently doing the IGCSE out there, and wants to offer hints and tips? Along the lines of, things i know now, which i wish i knew before!

5. Have planned to do Certificate in French and Spanish starting in Sep with Y10. Same concerns as above but cannot continue with current Controlled Assessment debacle. I just hope they have better markers who actually mark to the published spec. and they don't feel they have to muck about with the grade boundaries. Certainly the meeting I attended in June made everything seem, dare I say it, straightforward. Can that be possible?!

6. I know, that's what appeals to me about it. My HOD took a look of convincing, but in the end the majority of the dept voted for it, so away we go. One of the concerns my HOD had, was that it will only be high ability schools who go for it, we are a pretty average comp, how about you both?
    Also slightly peeved that most of my old materials i used for preparing pupils for old writing exams seem to have disappeared over the last 3 years. Need to try and recall all the tricks we used to practise there!

I reckon one of the first things i will do is look at decribing pictures, for the speaking exam. i hope to get them all chosen and prepared by Christmas, so that they can perfect them over the two years in mocks etc. a bit like we used to when they could learn a piece of coursework for the presentation in the old speaking exam.
    Overall, quite looking forward to it though. i have been bemoaning the loss of the lovely old writing exam since CAs came on the scene.

7. Likewise; this is why I would like reassurances over the marking being strictly criteria- referenced. We have never done the written paper but in last few years have taught a much more structurally-based scheme of work in lower school and have ditched topics, as such. We do "pronouns" rather than "pets". Students do now seem to have much more spontaneously usable language at their disposal. I feel the speaking PBD will remain the most challenging part of this.

8. maryjane1969

maryjane1969 New commenter

So glad I have read all of these posts. It is good to know that we are not the only ones doubting the validity of Controlled Assessment. I am not a fan of rote learning and would love the opportunity to encourage pupils to think for themselves. So after much deliberation, I am trialling the IGCSE with my top set this year, but I am worried about introducing it for our lower ability groups. We have had 100% A* to C with AQA GCSE, but the CA has been hugely onerous and it still does not necessarily make them better linguists. For larger cohorts, organizing the assessments is far worse than the old speaking exams too.

9. We have also made the decision to move to the edexcel certificate with our incoming Y10. I believe that controlled assessment has a lot to answer for both in terms of making the transition to A level difficult for some pupils and also in putting many students off from carrying on into 6th form. I too am anxious about how the grades will compare, particularly since I am a new HoD, but my hope is that students will actually have a qualification which means something and come out the other end with greater confidence in their language skills. It would be great to hear how other people are getting on with this over the next few years.