1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

iGCSE new 1-9 Science grade boundaries

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by taliep, Nov 16, 2016.

1. taliep

taliep New commenter

Hi, my school are converting to Edexcel 1-9 Double and single award science next September. Has anyone got any information on values to use to convert to grades. i.e. 80% for an 8? Many thanks

2. kcrobson

kcrobson New commenter

This info won't be released until after the exams... 7 is an old A, only 20% of of 7+ grade pupils will get a 9...

5 is the old bottom 1/3 of B, top 2/3 of C. 4 is your classic C/D borderline kid. 6 is a high B.

Just guess.... I am being quite conservative with all my pupils re: predicted grades, working at grades etc...

3. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

Ask any Head of Maths and we will probably fall over laughing. We are doing our Mocks on the new 9-1 system now and have NO IDEA what any of the marks are worth.

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Building on the fact that grade boundaries are set per paper and per subject in the Awarding process after all papers are marked, of course no-one can know the numbers. The best you can do - as happened even as long ago as when O Levels and CSEs became GCSEs - is to make a judgement based on the grade descriptors and the approximate grade equivalents.
    See https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/grade-descriptors-for-gcses-graded-9-to-1