1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IGCSE MFL

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by unswoc, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Dear Joe,
    I am looking at the IGCSE for MFL French and Spanish. Seems a good solution to the nightmare that is Controlled Assessment! Could anyone give me advice as the pros and cons and whether to avoid it or embrace it?
    Thanks

2. Hi,
    I can't give you any answer to your question, but I have been looking at it closely too.
    I looked at both Cambridge and Edexcel. As a faculty, we brainstormed the possible benefits or inconvenient about changing board. I've got it in my minutes if you are interested, just PM me your e-mail address so I can forward you what we came up with. We ruled out Cambridge straight away as the optional paper is the paper that allows you to access the higher grades whereas Edexcel as Speaking as optional but it is an extra grade rather than limitating it's rewarding. Well, IMHO.
    We got our Yr11 to do a mock paper using the reading today. I will collate results and compare, well, that will be tricky since they don't have grade boundaries for the sample materials. The listening will be done once we have finished our last controlled assessment and I have also done a survey to see what the students thought of the iGCSE format compared to the current C.A. one.
    I'd be glad to hear other teachers thought on this though... Thank you!

M

3. As I have just replied on another post, all we want at my school is the old system back - a nice 25%L 25%S 25%R 25%W with everything (apart from perhaps the speaking) marked by the board. There was nothing wrong with that system. They have seriously ballsed this up.
    If nothing changes with the GCSE I reckon the IGCSE market offerings will slowly dumb down until we are approaching something closer to what the GCSE used to be. At the moment you're choosing between a challenging exam that will result in severe grading for weaker candidates (IGCSE) or a complete dog's breakfast of a "qualification" (the new GCSE) that rewards ultra-short-term memorisation (60% no less!) and widens the gulf between Y11 and Y12.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Well - they broke it. Fools.

4. yasf

yasf New commenter

Edexcel IGCSE doesn't count towards the ebacc nor is it yet accredited by the QCA.

5. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

Beware the writing question for IGCSE. Tough for all but the best candidates.

6. How did you get on with this?
    The department is really down at the moment after having spent every waking moment over the past two weeks doing CAS and giving up lunchtimes and after schools. Surely there is an easier way?!

7. How were the IGCSE results this year. Our school is currently doing IGCSE in English and Science and the results were very positive. Anybody made this jump? Thanks