1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IGCSE Maths Textbooks

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by mikekirby58, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Hi

I don't teach Maths but we use the Oxford Core and Extended Mathematics for IGCSE by David Rayner( ISBN 9780199149957 and 978019914990)

Teacher is happy with them.

2. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Go to http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm . You will find an excellent collection of free books here that will cover what you need - plus quite a bit more.

If you don't want to print out the PDFs you can buy the books. They are very cheap, so the postage may well cost more than the books themselves.

3. I can recommend the Rayner books as well. You could also try te Ric Pimentel one.

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

We use the Mathematics for Edexcel IGCSE, but it is perhaps a bit basic. We are also using IGCSE Cambridge International Mathematics. In addition to these we use the Extended Mathematics for IGCSE books by Rayner ( as mentioned above ).

5. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

I use the Rayner ones, they give good coverage, except for the topic that are no longer in GCSE, Vector, Functions, Sets and matrices.

The Pimental ones are good, but very dated.

I have loads of CIMT stuff, but again this is mainly aimed at GCSE.

The new teacher's packs for the Rayner book are very good.

6. I have seen the Rayner books, and while I don't use them (yet) they seem a bit dull - lots and lots of questions with no activities or investigative tasks or any images - just lots of type. I guess they are comprehensive and do the job of covering the course, but does anyone use books that seem a bit more lively?

7. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

I am sure that I have answered this thread before but I cannot see it now.

I think that the Rayners are good, it should be the teacher who makes the course interesting, not the book.

There are a few investigations in the core book, but I believe that maths should be taught using the teacher as the primary resouce and the book as backup.

8. Hey all,
    Does anyone recommend any good revision books for students to use? Has anyone worked with or seen the Heinemann extended and Core Maths books?
    Cheers,
    J