1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IGCSE ICT

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by bennydcfc, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Hi guys,

I'm moving to a school in Bangkok in the Summer, and I will be teaching the IGCSE - ICT course (which I have very little knowledge of at the present time).

I'm currently teaching the OCR Nationals course in the UK.

I know these courses are structurally VERY different, and if anybody could recommend any guide books/give general info/past experiences, it would be a huge help.

Thank you in advance!

bennydcfc :)

2. Principal-Skinner

Principal-Skinner Occasional commenter

I like the standard Cambridge IGCSE ICT, but the Oxford is also decent.

3. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

The CIE IGCSE ICT is a good course. Three exams, 1 theory, 2 practical. No coursework.
    Lots of books all about the same in my view. Just look on amazon.
    Your department must already have a scheme of work.
    I found the course very wordy. EAL students need help with vocabulary

I have been teaching it for 4 years now. Please ask anything specific.

4. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

Is that thhe Exam where the students have to E-Mail for the questions, just make sure your new school has a good connection and low firewalls.

5. can you help which web authoring tools do you use when teaching Cambridge as Frontpage seems very outdated

6. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

We have been using Frontpage and plan to continue doing so. It is out of date. However, it does everything needed for the exam.

7. jpgreenwood

jpgreenwood New commenter

3 years ago I was in the same situation as you, leaving the UK (and OCR Nationals) for pastures sunnier & the IGCSE. I was similarly concerned, thinking the IGCSE was going to be much harder to teach.

I think the IGCSE succeeds where the OCR Natioanals failed miserably; there are clear success criteria, year-on-year, published on the CIE website, with oodles of past papers available & exemplar work. There's certainly more depth & breadth (there's theory, for a start) but nothing you couldn't brush up on. As a former HoD responsible for OCR Nationals moderations, the IGCSE is bliss by comparison; no last minute nasty surprises when the exam board decides something else is required that they haven't included in the spec.

My advice would be to go over the specification with a fine tooth comb, and be aware that there are significant changes prompted by Ofqual for the 2016 exam series, so you may be teaching year 10s & 11s with different content. Personally I print & highlight the specs, but do whatever works for you... just make sure you do it. Also it wouldn't hurt to run through a handful of past papers just to be clear on what they're looking for. There are examples on the CIE website & practical paper resources available for download from the teacher support section of their site. Your exams officer can set you up with access.

You can find textbooks without any problem on Amazon, etc. They're fine, but I prefer to use my own materials supplemented with a small theory textbook for reference only. I've cherry picked activities from a handful of different sources just to keep things interesting.

On the HTML editing front, we use DreamWeaver for similar reasons to the Frontpage-users. Sure, it's deprecated software, but it does the job. Some of my students prefer to write the code by hand as they have a pretty in-depth knowledge of HTML & CSS, but I just get them to do it in DreamWeaver's code view - it's just like Notepad+ with colour-coded tags & has the benefit of an instant preview below. For anyone starting from scratch, I'd recommend Expression Web - Microsoft's replacement for FrontPage. It's also free, which is nice:

www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx

Hope that helps.

8. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

We do Edexcel IGCSE and use this textbook:

www.amazon.ca/.../0435044117

Answers to the book are available online in pdf form:

assets.pearsonglobalschools.com/.../EdexcelIGCSEICTAnswers.pdf

There are loads of materials available online:

www.edexcel.com/.../default.aspx

There is a 3 hour practical exam and a one and a half hour written paper. We switched from AQA to avoid the controlled assessment.

We use a textbook as that is how our school operates. We also use Frontpage as we still have MSOffice 2003!