1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IGCSE English TEACHER IN DAMMAM SAUDI ARABIA - help & Info please :S

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ychowdhury, Jul 5, 2012.

1. ychowdhury

ychowdhury New commenter

Hi All

I have finally accepted a job in Dammam in KSA. My husband is a non teacher, and I will be teaching IGCSE English. There were a couple of things I wanted to know from a people if they could help >>>>>

* Has anyone taught the IGCSE English For Second Language Speakers (Oral Count In) - would like some info on this in terms of resources and how easy or hard it was to teach or any advice on how to teach it?

*What is it like living in Dammam, in terms of the area, people, shopping, leisure facilities etc.

* Finally, the school has given a letter to request that my husband travel with me and we have both have had our medical done, and started to get our visa processed, however, although I will be guaranteed a visa, we have been told that this letter from the school to request us to travel together may not be accepted by the Saudi Embassy...and I might have to travel on my own and then get him over once I have received my Iqama. Can anyone please clarify this, or if anyone has been in the same position. Thanks.

Thank you in advance for all your help. :)

2. The IGCSE ESL is a pretty standard ESL style test. I really liked using Oxford English: An International Approach. My students genuinely liked the units and most of the texts. Basically, just focus on the key skills and make sure to do plenty of mocks.

3. I lived in Dammam/Al Khobar for 17 years from 1983 to 2000 working first in transportation with Hanco, then Audi/Volkswagen. I just hope you know what you are letting yourself in for. Are you going to be staying on a compound or in the community. If you are in a compound - fine - otherwise.............. Unlikely your husband will be able to travel out with you. When I went out in 1983, I was single but had a partner. My then sponsor said I had to get married and have a child before I could bring Mrs Gillipig to Dhahran. This I did, and Mrs Gillipig along with Miss Gillipig arrived in January 2005. We were given a flat in Al Khobar. Please do not mention cockroaches. So why did I stay so long. Well I only worked in transportation for another 18 months and in that time secured a position with the then Dhahran Academy and Mrs Gillipig and I had 13 years in great jobs. Good luck and please PM me for more info if you wish.

4. honestandy

honestandy New commenter

Saudi Arabia is an awful place fore a Westerner. Don't bother if I was you. Your life and health is risk in this dammed Kingdom....but if u want money then go for it....

5. WoW!!! Who has rattled your cage! 17 years there and we had a ball! Our life and health was never at risk!

6. I lived there in Eastern Province as well. Not in compound. It was hell. A rotten society.Got out as soon as humanly possible. It taught me that there is more to life than money. Obviously others have had the same experience.

7. honestandy

honestandy New commenter

Repeat again....awful place...dont go there...its ur choice....u have been warned