1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

iGCSE English question

Discussion in 'English' started by crockedpot, Feb 1, 2016.

1. crockedpot

crockedpot New commenter

My HOD is considering introducing the iGCSE at our FE college for those learners who are currently not on track to achieve a C+ grade due to a lack of attendance/participation in the Controlled Assessments for the GCSE English Language qual. I would love to know other teachers' perspectives on this - I have taken a look at some past papers and am concerned that it would be too much of a stretch for these learners, who have already failed to reach a C grade at school, and who have effectively 'disengaged' from the whole GCSE retake process anyway. Is a pass at this stage realistic, or even possible??
    Thanks in advance.

2. defenceagainstthedarkarts

defenceagainstthedarkarts Occasional commenter

It definitely takes the stress away from controlled assessment nightmare and puts the ball firmly in their court.

The downside is the speaking and listening. You have to video these and for disengaged students it is awful!

3. crockedpot

crockedpot New commenter

Thanks for this - something I hadn't considered! I think that trying to get this up and running between now and the summer would be a nightmare.

4. defenceagainstthedarkarts

defenceagainstthedarkarts Occasional commenter

I am sure the school should have paid for my therapy after I did it one year :D

5. nicki_p

nicki_p New commenter

Are you thinking of doing Cambridge iGCSE? You don't have to video the speaking and listening, but obviously do need to record them.

6. kellyvallham

kellyvallham New commenter