1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

IGCSE English Lang 2 years ago...IB English A1 SL today

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by ian60, May 3, 2011.

1. ian60

ian60 New commenter

Grade 12 students came out of today's exam saying that one of the 'unseen' texts in the exam was the same as one that had been set two years ago by Cambridge IGCSE and studied in class by these students.
    I am amazed that this wasn't picked up in Cardiff, surely the IGCSE/IB combination is a very common one in International schools, surely it would be common sense to monitor what the other boards are setting.
    Then there is a danger that those students who had studied this previously would then respond at a G10 IGCSE level, rather than G12 SL.

Any English teachers care to comment.

2. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

I thought it was widely known that IB folk plagiarise.

3. Thisismytruth

Thisismytruth New commenter

What was the passage? I have seen virtually the same extracts (from 'Birdsong' for example) set across boards at a range of levels. It all depends on what focus the candidates are given by the question.

4. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

[​IMG]
    nice one, Sir Alex.
    More seriously this silly accident (if it is as described, I haven't seen the papers or talked to this morning's emerging candidates) testifies to the narrowing of the 'canon'.
    Years ago, it was felt, rightly, that the canon needed expansion to reflect post-colonial, post-feminist realities and of course the word 'relevance' was never far away.
    Paradoxically, however, the amount of poetry and prose that examiners can draw upon has actually decreased. Once you've thrown away all the Dead White Males, and made further eliminations using patronising and belittling criteria about what modern teenagers can cope with, you don't have a lot left.
    So it's hardly suprising that these two organisations' examiners end up fishing the same murky pond.