1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

igcse Eng Lit help with syllabus please.

Discussion in 'English' started by littlemysterious, Jul 14, 2019.

1. littlemysterious

littlemysterious New commenter

If anyone can help I'm desperate. School closed now so can't ask teachers

Can somebody explain it in very basic language please. There are several parents struggling and we want to support our children over the summer, especially as they are bordering 3/4.
    igcse's aren't great for kids with sn.

Mine hasn't a clue what they are studying and left the exam paper at school.

Not teacher bashing btw, just as much my responsibility to find out.

2. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Sorry, I'm not clear on what you're asking - what is your question exactly?

3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I think this is a parent whose SN child is taking iGCSE English (private school) and is not sure what they are studying and wants to help them study the iGCSE over the summer to help boost their grades.

Unfortunately, the answer is that the teachers make choices about which papers to teach so you won’t know for sure without a little detective work in finding out what they have been reading.

All candidates take Paper 1 Poetry and Prose, and EITHER Paper 2 Drama, OR Paper 3 Drama (Open Text) and Paper 4 Unseen, OR Paper 3 Drama (Open Text) and Component 5 Coursework.

https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/Images/329726-2019-syllabus.pdf

So you need to read page 5 and then cross reference this with pages 6-9 against the texts your children tell you they are reading. You can then work out which papers they are taking.

roamingteacher likes this.
  4. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

It depends which exam board the school follows for English Lit - could be CIE, Edexcel...

Have a look on the school's website, it might say on there which exam board it is.

If you can't figure out which board it is then I'd just suggest re-reading the texts they've read so far this year. Perhaps look at online study guides for those texts (BBC Bitesize, York Notes, Shmoop, Lit Charts etc.), or purchase a kindle or physical study guide.

If they can't remember which texts they read, how about preparing for the Language exams instead? They need to be able to read fiction and non-fiction texts, and understand them. They also need to be able to write their own fiction and non-fiction pieces. Have a look on Amazon for study guides perhaps.

5. CloudsTES

CloudsTES New commenter

I agree with blueskydreaming, that the best first step would likely be to try and find out the exam board your child is taking - this should be listed somewhere on your school's website.
    A next step would be then to look at the exam 'specification' on the exam board's website - this should provide a list of texts, from which your child will be studying several. If they're not clear on the texts they're studying, you might read out the texts listed in the spec. (including any details you can find out about them, online), which might end up jogging their memory.
    Once you've done this, it might, though, be a little tricky, as a parent, to help prepare your child to answer the type of questions that will be asked in the exams; nevertheless, becoming more familiar with each text - via online/ hard copy study guides - would definitely be pennies in the bank.
    If you still feel stuck, another option might be to contact a local tutor, via one of the tutoring websites. Perhaps there is someone who tutors pupils at your child's school, who would be able to advise on the exam board? Maybe a couple of sessions with a tutor over the break might be a good investment, to put your mind at rest?

saluki and roamingteacher like this.
  6. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Have you tried e mailing the teacher and the Head of English? Many teachers do check e mails over the summer.... or, at least, I do!

Can your child at least remember the texts they studied? At the very least they can re-read them, create mindmaps/flow charts of the main characters and themes (look online for help - schmoop, enotes, gcse bitesize, cliff notes, etc). That's probably more important at this stage than exam technique - being really confident about the text.

The other thing you could do is get your child to start thinking "outside" of the text - ie. instead of asking "why did the character do that?" ask "why did the writer make the character do that? how do they want the reader to respond?" Writing about the text as a construct and focussing on the writer's craft is the fundamental difference between a 3 and 5 (saying this as an examiner here) and will be common to both CIE and Edexcel.

7. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Have you tried e mailing the teacher and the Head of English? Many teachers do check e mails over the summer.... or, at least, I do!

Can your child at least remember the texts they studied? At the very least they can re-read them, create mindmaps/flow charts of the main characters and themes (look online for help - schmoop, enotes, gcse bitesize, cliff notes, etc). That's probably more important at this stage than exam technique - being really confident about the text.

The other thing you could do is get your child to start thinking "outside" of the text - ie. instead of asking "why did the character do that?" ask "why did the writer make the character do that? how do they want the reader to respond?" Writing about the text as a construct and focussing on the writer's craft is the fundamental difference between a 3 and 5 (saying this as an examiner here) and will be common to both CIE and Edexcel.

8. gilly33

gilly33 New commenter

Thank you so much for the responses, I'm sorting through the night determined to help
    It's Cambridge 0475.
    i've found the confusion is between Lit and language, so making a timetable that distinguishes the two and child has found some of the poems, and the other set CAD which which they know they aren't doing.
    The suggestions are really good many thanks. Now if I can just help gain some confidence and a can do attitude we'll crack it.
    I will email but know teachers are in late August and child is determined to crack on. There are some strange results so far 3x3's, 3x4's, 1x5 and 1x9.

Can you say what sort of percentage or mark would be a 4/5, roughly.