1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IGCSE edexcel

Discussion in 'English' started by timetotravel, Apr 28, 2012.

1. I have chosen Edexcel because, in my opinion, the texts are more accessible.
    The single entry suits us because our Year 10 groups are mixed ability but then we set, according to ability, in Year 11. We need to cover the same spec with all groups. I don't think I would want to do the AQA or Cambridge IGCSE courses with less able students but that's just my opinion.

2. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

Let me get this straight: you are saying these are students who are secure Grade Cs in Language (as they 'would get' it), but are only Grade Es in Lit (as they 'would struggle' to get a D).
    Given it's the same basic skills set, surely they should be able to get the same grade in both? I've certainly never met any student who was not capable of the same grade in both GCSEs (even if they didn't get the same grades in the end).
    Also, if your 'low ability' students get Grade Cs, I want to work at your school! [​IMG]

3. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

You are entirely correct, though this only applies to league tables. Students get the grades they get whatever. The rules for the Cambridge/Edexcel Certificates are identical to those for GCSEs. The only difference is that there is no 'single' English option (no great loss).