1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IGCSE/Edexcel Certificate B/C students

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by headofmaths, May 29, 2011.

1. headofmaths

headofmaths New commenter

We are going to trial the Edexcel certificate with our A/A* sets. We are also thinking about putting all classes who would have sat higher level GCSE in for the Edexcel Certificate too.

Has anyone in an independent school who has moved form GCSE to IGCSE got any experience with students with B/C grade targets. What I'm really keen to avoid a big drop in grades. The way I see it, so long as we are careful in how we prepare the students in these groups they should be able to score enough to gain a C or a B. I'm not convinced they'll do any better with the new GCSE course.

I'm thinking about dual entering one of these sets for GCSE and IGCSE to see if there is a difference is but the students in this set are not likely to relish 4 exams at the end of their course instead of 2. Maths dept would have to pay but it will only be abotu 15 students.

Is there anyone else out there moving to Edexcel Certificate? Just for your most able? or for all/many students?

2. headofmaths

There were paragraphs but safari lost them. Sorry.

3. Not my thread but I'll attempt to answer the various questions
    State schools still cannot do anything specifically called an IGCSE, however all the IGCSE courses are also available under the title 'Edexcel/Cambridge Certificate in..." which can be taken by state schools and I believe counts in league tables...
    As go the differences from the standard GCSE there are some differences in topics, the addition of set theory, differentiation of polynomials, function notation (domain, range, inverse etc)...
    But as others have commented the questions tend to on the whole be more straightforward in style and have less contextual issues (in part as they are designed to be sat by people whose first language may not be english!)
    I personally find the style more closely matches that expected of them when the reach A-level so they find the transition a little easier as not all the topics are new...
    As to which makes a better mathematician, I suspect the answer is neither and that comes from the approach of the teacher not the specific content or context of the examination...
    Hope that helps!!

4. We changed 5 years ago, and our results improved straight away. We had a lot more of our C grade students getting a B at Higher Level. We've also found numbers for AS growing - they get a taste for AS Maths by doing functions, differentiation and sets and this helps them to see that AS is accessible to them. We have found IGCSE much better than the Edexcel GCSE. Better preparation for AS level.

5. pencho

pencho New commenter

"thought it was worth mentioning that this is no longer the complete story... It is not just the independent sector who do not need to follow the KS4 programme of study, the same is also true for the growing number of Academies (& Free Schools) who are also exempt from following the NC."
    AnotherMathsHoD. You have said this a couple times now and I'm not sure you are reading the responses. Yes we can do the new iGCSE (or certificates) but as far as I am aware they cannot currently count as the maths part of the 5 A*-C inc Eng+Maths. They could count as one of the other 5, but not the maths. As a result I cannot see many non independent schools going for these.
    If on the other hand you are saying that it does count as the maths part of the 5A*-C then I agree with Sara that it may be a better option than GCSE maths. Please could you confirm that you are saying it can be the maths part of the 5A*-C and could you give your source. I hope you are right but the phonecalls I have made don't agree

6. I have been reading the responses, and I was responding to the specific point about state schools having to following the KS4 programme - I made no comment in this post about whether it would count in league tables...
    If it doesn't count I assume that Academies/Free Schools would be in the same position as many Independent Schools of just getting zero in the league tables - which in and of itself doesn't seem to be a major issue for everyone as removing yourself from the comparison enables schools to sell themselves on different merits...
    However my earlier comment about them being counted was based on the information I was aware of and linked to:
    http://www.education.gov.uk/performancetables/schools_10/s5.shtml
    Which clearly says in 2010 the CIE IGCSE Mathematics qualification did count towards the 5 A%-C, whether the Edexcel one counts I don't know...

7. Also if you look on this page of the Edexcel website is says the new 'Edexcel Cerficate' will:
    The Edexcel Certificates are based on our IGCSE from 2009 specifications. Once accredited, they will count towards national league table points and be eligible for funding in UK state schools.

It also says "We?re pleased to announce that The Edexcel Certificates in Mathematics, English Language and English Literature have been accredited by Ofqual"

http://www.edexcel.com/quals/igcse/edexcel-certificate/Pages/default.aspx

So there is clearly some confusion somewhere with what they mean by 'count towards national league table points' - Given the CIE papers did count in 2010 I'd be very surprised is the Edexcel ones didn't also count... But I guess we will know for certain when the 2011 tables are produced!

8. pencho

pencho New commenter

I hope they do count along with the AQA ones as then we would do this I feel instead of GCSE maths. I will phone Edexcel and QCDA again on Monday to get a definite answer.
    With regards to the CIE iGCSE counting. Note clearly the Edexcel iGCSE did not count in the tables. Also the iGCSE did not receive state funding. Why if it did account does a lot of indepedent schools have virutally 0% on the 5A*-C figure including eng and maths. Interesting.

9. headofmaths

Thanks everyone for your replies,

rachbass and anothermaths HoD, It is good to know that there isn't a drop in grades at the mid end. We are really looking to move to this as it appears to be better as preparation for A level, especially as it enables us to extend topics nicely. We were worried that if we moved all students in a Grammar School (that is also an academy) our weakest might not achieve C grades.

We have had some issues trying to uncover what it will count for in the league tables too. Problem is when you ring the DfEE, they will only give you info about the current year 11 and what counts for what. It won't be until September when we can get the info for the current year 10. Our SLT won't officially let us change until they are satisfied it will count in the league tables (and I am expecting they mean that it has to count for 5A*-C inc Eng/Maths as well as Bac.)

Certainly the Cambridge IGCSE counted last year for both measures but not Edexcels. Edexcel are claiming their IGCSE will count for 2011 and 2012 and thereafter only the Edexcel Certificate (stupid name - looks like a certificate of achievement!) will count, trying to encourage indis to move to this. This leads me to assume that the Certificate will count in both measures but pencho is right, they only say it will count in the Bac so we are going to have to wait and see.

My school don't seem to be too bothered about whether it counts for funding but they aren't prepared to suffer a drop in the league tables.

There were a number of schools at Edexcel's meeting about this spec in London the other week and Edexcel do seem to be pushing it. I hope we aren't being lead down a path we can't follow.

Any other state schools here aiming to switch or are we the only ones?

10. headofmaths

OK so google chome loses paragraphs too

Thanks everyone for your replies, [br] [br]

rachbass and anothermaths HoD, It is good to know that there isn't a drop in grades at the mid end. We are really looking to move to this as it appears to be better as preparation for A level, especially as it enables us to extend topics nicely. We were worried that if we moved all students in a Grammar School (that is also an academy) our weakest might not achieve C grades. [br] [br]

We have had some issues trying to uncover what it will count for in the league tables too. Problem is when you ring the DfEE, they will only give you info about the current year 11 and what counts for what. It won't be until September when we can get the info for the current year 10. Our SLT won't officially let us change until they are satisfied it will count in the league tables (and I am expecting they mean that it has to count for 5A*-C inc Eng/Maths as well as Bac.) [br] [br]

Certainly the Cambridge IGCSE counted last year for both measures but not Edexcels. Edexcel are claiming their IGCSE will count for 2011 and 2012 and thereafter only the Edexcel Certificate (stupid name - looks like a certificate of achievement!) will count, trying to encourage indis to move to this. This leads me to assume that the Certificate will count in both measures but pencho is right, they only say it will count in the Bac so we are going to have to wait and see. [br] [br]
    My school don't seem to be too bothered about whether it counts for funding but they aren't prepared to suffer a drop in the league tables. There were a number of schools at Edexcel's meeting about this spec in London the other week and Edexcel do seem to be pushing it. I hope we aren't being lead down a path we can't follow. [br] [br]

Any other state schools here aiming to switch or are we the only ones?

11. headofmaths

I give up on the paragraphs aaagh * goes off to find another browser*

12. Angle brackets .

On the Mac keyboard to get the left angle bracket press shift and then the comma key.

To get the right angle bracket press shift and then the full stop key.

Hope that helps!

It would be nice if TES could support the default Mac browser!

Many thanks for your posts Head of Maths, very interesting reading.

I still can't help but feel a bit short changed LEA state schools seemingly can't include it as they maths exam in 5 A* to C including maths and english. All very well for those in schools where they can't take the attitude 'we are not bothered by the league tables' .

13. headofmaths

Well, to reserect this thread, they can now.

I got confirmation that IGCSE Maths Edexcel will count in the league tables as GCSE Maths as will all other qualifications listed under maths on the english bac list.

14. DM

DM New commenter

I saw the full mathematics list the other day and copied it. I never knew you could use AS instead!
    <table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" style="width:385pt;border-collapse:collapse;">

<tr style="height:15pt;">
    <td class="xl73" style="border:0.5pt solid windowtext;width:385pt;height:15pt;background-color:transparent;">AQA
    Level 1/Level 2 GCSE in Mathematics A</td>
    </tr>
    <tr style="height:14.25pt;">
    <td class="xl73" style="border-width:0px 0.5pt 0.5pt;border-style:none solid solid;border-color:black windowtext windowtext;height:14.25pt;background-color:transparent;">CCEA Level
    1/Level 2 GCSE in Mathematics</td>
    </tr>
    <td class="xl73" style="border-width:0px 0.5pt 0.5pt;border-style:none solid solid;border-color:black windowtext windowtext;height:14.25pt;background-color:transparent;">EDEXCEL Level
    1/Level 2 GCSE in Mathematics A</td>
    </tr>
    <td class="xl73" style="border-width:0px 0.5pt 0.5pt;border-style:none solid solid;border-color:black windowtext windowtext;height:14.25pt;background-color:transparent;">OCR Level
    </tr>
    <td class="xl73" style="border-width:0px 0.5pt 0.5pt;border-style:none solid solid;border-color:black windowtext windowtext;height:14.25pt;background-color:transparent;">WJEC Level
    </tr>
    <td class="xl73" style="border-width:0px 0.5pt 0.5pt;border-style:none solid solid;border-color:black windowtext windowtext;height:14.25pt;background-color:transparent;">OCR Level
    1/Level 2 GCSE in Mathematics C</td>
    </tr>
    1/Level 2 GCSE in Mathematics B</td>
    </tr>
    <td class="xl73" style="border-width:0px 0.5pt 0.5pt;border-style:none solid solid;border-color:black windowtext windowtext;height:14.25pt;background-color:transparent;">AQA Level
    </tr>
    <td class="xl73" style="border-width:0px 0.5pt 0.5pt;border-style:none solid solid;border-color:black windowtext windowtext;height:14.25pt;background-color:transparent;">EDEXCEL Level
    </tr>
    <td class="xl73" style="border-width:0px 0.5pt 0.5pt;border-style:none solid solid;border-color:black windowtext windowtext;height:14.25pt;background-color:transparent;">WJEC Level
    1/Level 2 GCSE in Mathematics (Modular)</td>
    </tr>
    1/Level 2 GCSE in Mathematics (Pilot)</td>
    </tr>
    <td class="xl73" style="border-width:0px 0.5pt 0.5pt;border-style:none solid solid;border-color:black windowtext windowtext;height:14.25pt;background-color:transparent;">CCEA Level
    </tr>
    <td class="xl73" style="border-width:0px 0.5pt 0.5pt;border-style:none solid solid;border-color:black windowtext windowtext;height:14.25pt;background-color:transparent;">AQA Level
    </tr>
    </tr>
    </tr>
    </tr>
    </tr>
    </tr>
    </tr>
    </tr>
    1/Level 2 GCSE in Mathematics A (Linear)</td>
    </tr>
    1/Level 2 GCSE in Mathematics B (Modular)</td>
    </tr>
    </tr>
    </tr>
    </tr>
    </tr>
    </tr>
    </tr>
    </tr>
    1/Level 2 GCSE in Additional Mathematics (Pilot)</td>
    </tr>
    1/Level 2 GCSE in Mathematics D (Pilot)</td>
    </tr>
    </tr>
    </tr>
    </tr>
    <td class="xl73" style="border-width:0px 0.5pt 0.5pt;border-style:none solid solid;border-color:black windowtext windowtext;height:14.25pt;background-color:transparent;">Cambridge
    International Level 1/Level 2 Certificate in Mathematics</td>
    </tr>
    </tr>
    1/Level 2 GCSE in Applications of Mathematics (Pilot)</td>
    </tr>
    </tr>
    </tr>
    1/Level 2 GCSE in Methods in Mathematics (Pilot)</td>
    </tr>
    </tr>
    </tr>
    </tr>
    </tr>
    </tr>
    </tr>
    </tr>
    </tr>
    </tr>
    </tr>
    </tr>
    1/Level 2 GCSE in Mathematics - Linear</td>
    </tr>
    <td class="xl73" style="border-width:0px 0.5pt 0.5pt;border-style:none solid solid;border-color:black windowtext windowtext;height:14.25pt;background-color:transparent;">CIE IGCSE
    Mathematics</td>
    </tr>
    <td class="xl75" style="border-width:0px 0.5pt 0.5pt;border-style:none solid solid;border-color:black windowtext windowtext;height:14.25pt;background-color:transparent;">Edexcel Level
    1/Level 2 Certificate in Mathematics</td>
    </tr>
    <td class="xl76" style="border-width:0px 0.5pt 0.5pt;border-style:none solid solid;border-color:black windowtext windowtext;height:14.25pt;background-color:white;">AQA Advanced
    Subsidiary GCE in Mathematics A</td>
    </tr>
    <td class="xl76" style="border-width:0px 0.5pt 0.5pt;border-style:none solid solid;border-color:black windowtext windowtext;height:14.25pt;background-color:white;">AQA Advanced
    Subsidiary GCE in Mathematics B</td>
    </tr>
    <td class="xl76" style="border-width:0px 0.5pt 0.5pt;border-style:none solid solid;border-color:black windowtext windowtext;height:14.25pt;background-color:white;">WJEC Advanced
    Subsidiary GCE in Mathematics</td>
    </tr>
    <td class="xl76" style="border-width:0px 0.5pt 0.5pt;border-style:none solid solid;border-color:black windowtext windowtext;height:14.25pt;background-color:white;">CCEA Advanced
    </tr>
    <td class="xl76" style="border-width:0px 0.5pt 0.5pt;border-style:none solid solid;border-color:black windowtext windowtext;height:14.25pt;background-color:white;">EDEXCEL
    Advanced Subsidiary GCE in Mathematics</td>
    </tr>
    <td class="xl76" style="border-width:0px 0.5pt 0.5pt;border-style:none solid solid;border-color:black windowtext windowtext;height:14.25pt;background-color:white;">OCR Advanced
    </tr>
    <td class="xl76" style="border-width:0px 0.5pt 0.5pt;border-style:none solid solid;border-color:black windowtext windowtext;height:14.25pt;background-color:white;">OCR Advanced
    Subsidiary GCE in Mathematics (MEI)</td>
    </tr>
    </tr>
    <td class="xl76" style="border-width:0px 0.5pt 0.5pt;border-style:none solid solid;border-color:black windowtext windowtext;height:14.25pt;background-color:white;">EDEXCEL
    Advanced Subsidiary GCE in Mathematics</td>
    </tr>
    Subsidiary GCE in Mathematics (MEI)</td>
    </tr>
    <td class="xl76" style="border-width:0px 0.5pt 0.5pt;border-style:none solid solid;border-color:black windowtext windowtext;height:14.25pt;background-color:white;">WJEC Advanced
    </tr>
    <td class="xl76" style="border-width:0px 0.5pt 0.5pt;border-style:none solid solid;border-color:black windowtext windowtext;height:14.25pt;background-color:white;">CCEA Advanced
    </tr>
    </tr>
    <td class="xl76" style="border-width:0px 0.5pt 0.5pt;border-style:none solid solid;border-color:black windowtext windowtext;height:14.25pt;background-color:white;">OCR Level 3
    Advanced Subsidiary GCE in Mathematics (Pilot)</td>
    </tr>
    <td class="xl76" style="border-width:0px 0.5pt 0.5pt;border-style:none solid solid;border-color:black windowtext windowtext;height:14.25pt;background-color:white;">AQA Level 3
    Advanced Subsidiary GCE in Mathematics (Pilot)</td>
    </tr>
    <td class="xl74" style="border-width:0px 0.5pt 0.5pt;border-style:none solid solid;border-color:windowtext;height:14.25pt;background-color:transparent;">Edexcel IGCSE
    Mathematics</td>
    </tr>

</table>

15. headofmaths

I spotted that, DM, but thought - would I dare enter someone/a set for AS and not GCSE?

I mean you could, but what if they didn't get an A? Anyone?

16. pencho

pencho New commenter

Is this the Ebac list that has been on the DFE website.
    Do these count at the GCSE Maths part of the 5 A*-C inc Eng and Maths

17. headofmaths

I rang the DFE and was assured they all did.
    I said it needed to be explicit on their website or they'd get LOTS more phone calls form other schools.
    I take it they've not changed the website then?

18. pencho

pencho New commenter

No it doesn't . It does not count in the league tables in any form at the moment I believe. I think a decision will be made about it in a year or so.