1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IGCSE - covalent bonding - help planning lesson

Discussion in 'Science' started by iGCSE101, Jul 10, 2020.

1. iGCSE101

iGCSE101 New commenter

How much info is too much info per lesson?

I find it difficult to teach bonding on the IGCSE course (Cambridge). I always want to start adding in other info that is not on the syllabus. I have now prepared a lesson for sale, but it feels very info heavy. I have included the following topics:

- introduction to bonding
    - a reminder of what ionic bonding was all about (from previous lesson)
    - the definition of covalent bonding
    - some slides explaining stability and valency ( part reminder but some new terminology)
    - dot and cross for H bonding
    - dot and cross for Cl bonding
    - dot and cross of O bonding
    small explainer on different ways to represent and single , double and triple bonds. At this point I feel like it is a lot to take in - but there is one part left in the course to explain which is bonding in Methane and HCL. So I include links on the lesson so student change perspective and see a video on how to generate the dot and cross diagram for these molecules as well as including how to do this (with answers) - a sort of check on understanding

But I have left out the concept of structural formula and why we draw the bonds at angels as well as leaving out properties of covalent bonding ( as not on syllabus). However it would really complete the lesson. So my question is - too much info or add it anyway?

Cheers
    IGCSE101

2. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

After seeing this, I lost all interest in helping...

gainly and Skeoch like this.
  3. iGCSE101

iGCSE101 New commenter

Okay! I see your point. But it was/is a genuine concern. I am never sure how much to add to a TES lesson so I guess the question is best suited for the authors group.....I will move it there.

4. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

You clearly don't see my point when you post the identical OP in a different forum. The issue isn't who you are asking, it is why. If you were asking purely because
    and you didn't want your students to struggle due to your deficiency, I have no doubt posters would be willing to help. To seek advice on how to make more money despite your deficiency riles me.

gainly likes this.
  5. iGCSE101

iGCSE101 New commenter

well - its one and the same thing. What I put in my lessons on TES is what I teach, sorry my comment riled you so much but thanks for interacting. I guess seeing my question didn't generate any answers perhaps more people feel the same way . For me it was purely a technical question but I am confident I will figure it out.