1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IfL

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by carbon footprint, Sep 4, 2007.

1. your point being?

2. In reply to the above, the UK workforce consists of around three hundred thousand workbased trainers, assessors, tutors and lecturers of which only forty thousand have signed up to the IFL quango as of end of January.
    I understand that annual membership fees are due for payment on April fools day. Is the tax payer paying or the IFL members?

3. The majority of those have until September 08 to register. Mute point, but aren't IfL members tax payers?

4. Sorry, VIFormHead, the point you are trying to make is almost inaudible.

Oh, sorry, I think you meant to write "moot"!

5. I meant what I said cheery, apologies if humour isn't your bag!

6. boys, stop fighting. the ifl websites been down all week. anybody know whats going on?

7. I don't think VI form has a point apart from the need to feel significant.

8. "I don't think VI form has a point apart from the need to feel significant. "

Hah...someone else has also noticed :))

9. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

And on the institute for losers thread he reckons its the best thing in the past 75 years!

10. Most significant, not best. Language not a strong point?

11. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

"most significant" Jesus man, you do not realise how sad you are. Your staff must chuckle something rotten behind your back. Do you understand the meaning of the word "venal"? Thats you, that is.

12. I understand the meaning of the word venal, though I fail to see where I have proven myself to be corruptible, are you sure you know what it means.

Back to the point, could you please point out a MORE significant reform impacting on ALL teachers in colleges, work-based learning, community learning, etc.

13. If you are so interested in words may I point out that all F.E. colleges employ lecturers not teachers.
    There is a difference, look in the Oxford dictionary. If we were classified as teachers maybe we would get the same terms and conditions. If we are teachers why do our terms of employment not state that. I also cannot find any reference to the word lecturer in the IFL published Government Act requiring teachers to register if the government wanted FE lecturers to register why not include the term in the Act? Maybe you can explain?

14. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I would say, O great one, that "incorporation" was much more significant, because it has led to the really difficult situation we are in now. The terrible pay and conditions in FE (which of course don't apply to your smug lot) mean that there is a real crisis looming within, probably, the next five years. No doubt you, in your great omnipotence, will be either aware of this, or ignoring it as per usual, because you have the priveleged position of getting teacher pay and conditions while able to encroach on traditional FE work.

15. Not that I'm one to stick my nose in Jacob, but can I point out our sixth form head clearly referred to ALL post-comp teachers from across the full fe/l&s sector - so by picking on incorporation you have fallen about 60% short.

Just an observation ;o)

16. Oh and Irish, the Government publishes its own legislation - the IfL doesn't act for it. The regulations describe the term teacher as follows:

"?teacher? means any person who provides education at a further education institution under a contract of employment or a contract for services"

yup, that'll include 'lecturers' - you want to try reading before opening your gob and swallowing both your feet!!

17. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Witchy, you are so wrong. Sixth forms were "incorporated" in 1993 at the same time as all FE. What part of Planet Muppet are your from. The differences are in pay scales. The argument is whether the compulsory registration with the IfL is the most significant thing to hit FE in the last 75 years. I'd say definitely not, now argue as pedantically as you want but your dig about incorporation is just palin wrong. Even that fascist Vith form headbanger will agree with you on that one point.

18. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

The IfL confer status upon us.

Then they want CPD to be evidenced each year.

CPD is your own personal stuff but you can include courses you've been attending through work.

I always do a little course each year.I'll do any course as long as it's free.

This year it's the Level 2 ITQ which I should complete in 180 hours.

I'll soon have to explain away 30 hrs CPD per annum.

As soon as I'm asked I'm going to write back as follows.

Listened to Floyd's The Wall three times.

Thought about The Wall a bit.

Read the cover of R S Peters Ethics and Education.

Thought about the implications of personality and learning but didn't consider the affects of personality on learning or vice versa.

Considered the etymology of the word 'professional'.

Looked up the spelling of 'etymology'.

19. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

They'll have me begging them 'please don't take my status away'.

Be very wary of strangers offering gifts reduced from a fee to free.

20. Jude, I'll ignore you - you're really not worth the burning of 2 calories in reply.

Jacob, I'll try and explain it again, this time spelling it out in full. Sixth Form Head was referring to ALL teachers across FE, that includes colleges, sixth form colleges, work-based learning, community learning, the voluntary sector, the public services ALL LSC FUNDED LEARNING.

Got that so far?

Incorporation impacted on about 40% of that workforce!

Got that bit?

Put the two together ........ Jacob is an **** ;o)