1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IfL

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by carbon footprint, Sep 4, 2007.

1. "Licensed Practitioner Status
    As outlined in Success for All it is intended that by 2010 all existing teachers without a recognised teaching qualification will become qualified by either gaining recognition for an existing qualification or by undertaking the new qualifications and consequently becoming Licensed Practitioners. It is not a requirement for you to become a Licensed Practitioner. However, it is the intention of the DIUS that this should become the benchmark for the Learning and Skills sector and therefore that you will opt to become licensed.

There will be two categories of Licensed Practitioners, corresponding to the new teaching roles. The categories of Licensed Practitioner are:

Associate Teacher Learning and skills (ATLS) - Associate Teachers
    Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS) - Full Teachers

'Licensed Practitioner' will be conferred by the the IfL after professional formation. This process of workplace assessment will not be time related, rather it will be based upon employer evaluation and referral. It is anticipated that this process will reflect and respond to the recruitment and teacher training demands of the teacher, the employing institution and the wider sector.

We will confirm the process of becoming a Licensed Practitioner over the coming year through consultation with teachers and stakeholders and this will be available from September 2008. The license will be annually renewable, including a CPD obligation, and this can be withdrawn or suspended subject to the outcome of an investigation of alleged misconduct."

am I the only one that has a problem with parts of this!?

annual renewal for one!

2. Wasnt it the original proposal that licenses would be renewed every five years?

Does this actually apply to you anyway Bazza? Have you tried calling the IfL?

Didnt you start teaching before 1st Septemeber 2001? If so you dont need a either a qualification or QTLS. Even if you were teaching after that date but before 1st September 2007 you dont need QTLS and your qualification is for life so you dont need that license to practice either.

I feel sorry for the new ones coming in. I dont think a license renewed annually is feesable and I think a lot of FE Colleges will abuse it to their own ends ( ie remove staff they dont want and employ trainees all the time on sessional contracts). Seen it done before.

3. Unless " annual renewal simply means paying your subs to the IfL every year - some 30 sqids I think it is after this initial free stage they are in right now whilst they succour everyone into registering whether they need to or not.

I am very cynical. Must be all those years of teaching in FE thats done it to me.

4. hi Barrie.. yeah i just called them, cos i wasn't sure if it applied to me.. and apparently they will count my training practice as actually teaching in the sector prior to 2001!! so technically I would be qualified and don't need to do any further training.. however..

"You are not required by the Regulations to gain any additional qualifications or to become a Licensed Practitioner. However, as some employers will expect and encourage such development as it becomes the benchmark for the sector, you are encouraged to become a Licensed Practitioner by completing the professional formation assessment. "

I found this really confusing.. Will I become an automatic Licensed Practitioner?, I'm assuming the extra development is for those with lesser teaching quals!? but it doesn't make it very clear, and the guy from ifl wasn't clear either..

I've probably completely misread it.. I do that a lot.. recently tried to cancel a subscription to something without realising I'd signed into an agreement to pay for an extra month cos i didn't uncheck a box on a website!!

"The license will be annually renewable, including a CPD obligation, and this can be withdrawn or suspended subject to the outcome of an investigation of alleged misconduct." Am I wrong in thinking that none of this applies to me then Barrie.. that I don't need any LPS? because my qualification automatically awards me that!? the reassessment every year or every five years.. still isn't on.. QTS isn't reviewed every year or five years..

I'll have to give them another call! haha.. sorry..

5. " However, as some employers will expect and encourage such development as it becomes the benchmark for the sector, you are encouraged to become a Licensed Practitioner by completing the professional formation assessment. "

I did ask about this bit yesterday. It seems " expect and encourage " cannot be enforced! They can ask. They can cajole but they cannot make you. You do not have to be licensed and you do not have to have QTLS and you do not even have to register with the IfL if you were qualified before 2001.

I also understood that the CPD is a tresponsibility of the employer and that they must ensure the ongoing training to maintain the professional license!

I was alos told by the nice lady at the IfL that with respect to QTS, the acceptance for QTLS status as automatic was based on the fact that in schools we do CPD and PM and that is why QTS = QTLS without any question. Also ongoing registration with the GTC is the cover all so even if you are unemployed and dont work for God alone knows how long , as long as you maintained your GTC registration you remain elegible for QTLS in FE.

But you are quite correct QTS is not reviewed every year or every five years. It is for life ( even if you fail your NQT year!) and it cannot be taken away at all.

6. "I found this really confusing.. Will I become an automatic Licensed Practitioner?, I'm assuming the extra development is for those with lesser teaching quals!? but it doesn't make it very clear, and the guy from ifl wasn't clear either.."

As I understood this from the lady at the IfL yesterday ( but its worth a call for clarification , and I might try that later or tomorrow if I cant make it today) if you are an existing teacher/ lecturer, you do not have to be licensed. They cannot make you be licensed. You dont even have to register with the IfL!

If you do register you will be granted QTLS at some point but that will still not be subject to the license. They cannot take your qualification away from you. Yours is for life. Its the new qualification that has to be renewed ( ie post 2007) .

I'll check that though.

7. you see barrie.. what you are saying is exactly the way I was interpreting it.. and I thought I was going a bit mad.. but that's ok.. although I did ask the guy at IfL and he said that if you are currently working in FE sector you will have to register before march 2008.. I wonder what will happen if you don't!? and you continue to work in FE after that date!? will institution force you to?!

8. ... maybe you'll just be snubbed in the staffroom!

9. "you do not even have to register with the IfL if you were qualified before 2001"

you are wrong
    you are wrong
    you are wrong
    you are wrong
    you are wrong
    you are wrong
    you are wrong
    you are wrong
    YOU ARE WRONG

how often do you have to be told, you are wrong - everyone has to register, it has nothing to do with 2001, that is about qualifications

10. Its a bit more complicated than " everyone has to register". It depends on where you are working , when you qualified or started teaching and whether you have QTS.

If you have QTS you do not have to register.

If you work in a sixth form or an SFC you currently do not have to register. If you do not have QTS and you want to register you can on a voluntary basis. If you have QTS your employer will notify the IfL of your status. QTS is the baseline in SFC not QTLS

If you work in an FE College and do not have QTS and were working before 2001 you have until March 2008 to become a member of the IfL for CPD purposes only. You do not have to register as such, re train or be licensed.

If you are in this group your employer will register you as part of the new process. In effect you will have to do nothing yourself.

That information came from the IfL.

Amyone who is unsure needs to call and speak to the IfL because for existing teachers registration is a matter of a case on case basis.

11. WRONG WRONG
    WRONG
    WRONG
    WRONG
    WRONG

12. from the regulations

"Registration of teachers
    1.?(1) Subject to paragraphs (2) and (3), EVERY TEACHER must?

(a) register with the IfL by 31st March 2008 or, in the case of any teacher appointed after 1st September 2007, within 6 months of the date of his appointment; and

(b) maintain that registration continuously thereafter.

(2) Sub-paragraph (1) does not apply to a teacher who is employed solely in a sixth form college and is registered with the GTC(E).

(3) Sub-paragraph (1) does not apply to a teacher who is employed both in a school and a further education institution and is registered with the GTC(E), provided he commenced such dual employment and registered with the GTC(E) before 1st September 2007.

(4) Every teacher referred to in sub-paragraphs (2) and (3) must provide the IfL with his GTC(E) registration details by 31st August every year."

every teacher, the clue is in the word 'every' ***********

13. As far as I can make out all teachers and trainers in the public and private sectors teaching/training on LSC funded courses must register with the IfL before April 2008.

Those teachers/lecturers who were teaching/training before April 2001 do not have to undergo any further qualifications to teach providing they hold adequate qualifications e.g. the old level 4 ones (PGCE Cert Ed) However, those holding level 3 qualifications and levels 1 and 2 of the 7407 will be required to upskill.

On this debate I feel both parties are partially correct. *********** is correct about licensing and QTS and Amanda is correct about registration. Therefore, it seems to me that the issue is more one of what registration means for teachers qualified before 2001 and whether there is any merit/requirement in obtaining licensed status. Moreover, will the licence be automatically granted eventually to pre 2001 ers.

Perhaps where the real confusion lies is the ambiguity attached to the information put out by the IfL.

Let's stop mudslinging and get to the real core issues.

14. There are two different sets of rules and regulations for people who are existing teachers Alex ( leaving aside those with QTS for a moment)

Firstly we have those working in FE before 2001.

I quote directly now. read it for yourself. Its quite clear:

"As you first taught in the sector before 1 September 2001 you were not required to hold any teaching qualification, although you may already do so. We are working together with SVUK to develop a scheme whereby those who possess a teaching qualification, stage/unit or overseas qualifications will be able to claim credit for this towards Licensed Practitioner status on an individual basis. This will also allow a teacher's experience to be taken into account, meaning that if you don't have a teaching qualification you could gain QTLS based upon you teaching experience. This scheme is being developed to ensure rigour, robustness and fairness."

In simple English, if you were working in FE before 2001 you may or may not have qualifications. If you dont have them , you dont need tham and at some point in the future you will get QTLS automatically regardless. Tight now though you dont need it. You dont have to have a license to practice but if you workl in an FE College ( nowhere else - and I'll provide the quote for that in a minute) you will have to join the IfL as a member for CPD purposes before March 2008.

Now for that quote about being only FE Colleges who have to register for the time being:

"The Further Education Teachers' Continuing Professional Development & Registration Regulations (England) 2007 require teachers in English FE Colleges to register; and this will be extended to all LSC provision through provider contracts in due course"

Note only FE right now , others will follow later but it also makes it clear that SFC's and Sixth forms in schools will retain QTS not QTLS as its status.

However if you do work in a SFC or a sixth form you can voluntarily register whether or not you have QTS . Again the license to practice does not affect you unless you are FE qualified ( or have QTLS) . In the case of the former, QTS will be seen as QTLS for any membership purposes.

Got that from the IfL and I have quoted it oft times in this and other threads - take a loon back and save me the cut and past.

If you were trained between 2001 and 2007 things are a bit different. Again from the IfL:

"Under the 2007 Regulations you will need to register with the Institute for Learning for CPD purposes. You are not required by the Regulations to gain any additional qualifications or to become a Licensed Practitioner. However, as some employers will expect and encourage such development as it becomes the benchmark for the sector, you are encouraged to become a Licensed Practitioner by completing the professional formation assessment. See below information on Licensed Practitioners.

If you first taught full time between 1 September 2001 and 31 August 2007 you would have been required to gain a level 4 teaching qualification (with level 4 here referring to the old National Qualifications Framework). If you taught part time you would have been required to complete the first stage of the level 4 qualification.

We are working together with SVUK to develop a scheme whereby those who possess a teaching qualification, stage/unit or overseas qualifications will be able to claim credit for this towards licensed practitioner status on an individual basis. This will also allow your experience to be taken into account, meaning that if you don't have a teaching qualification you could gain QTLS based upon your teaching experience. This scheme is being developed to ensure rigour, robustness and fairness.

Which effectively means that if you were working in FE after 2001 you should actually have a teaching qualification but if you dont, dont worry about it because they are rolling out an APEL and you will get your QTLS via experience without any further training.

Again you do not have to have a license and you do not have to have QTLS at present just be a member of the IfL for CPD purposes.

Again this only applies if you work in FE College, not anywhere else at the moment.

I do think you make a valid point though Alex with regard to whether any of us actually want a license if we are existing teachers. It may not in fact be to our advantage. ( I say " ours" because as you know I am FE trained but QTS and it doesnt affect me at all because my QTS covers me)

15. I think this clarifies the point about who is to register in the first instance - ie FE Colleges:

"The Regulations ? What They Mean For You (Updated August 2007)

In order to deliver a qualified workforce by 2010 as outlined in the DfES ?Success for All? targets, a series of reforms will begin on 1 September 2007 which will impact upon all teachers, tutors and trainers within the sector (hereafter referred to as teachers). There are two strands to the reforms, defined through two separate but complementary sets of Regulations:

1. Revised teaching qualifications for new teachers, including the introduction of licensed practitioner status and differentiating between Full and Associate teaching roles

2. Remaining in good standing as a teaching professional, including a mandatory CPD requirement for all teachers

The final regulations will be effective from 1 September 2007 within FE colleges in England and will filter into other parts of the Learning and Skills sector in England (such as adult and community learning and work based learning) in due course, with an overall objective of qualifying the workforce by 2010 as outlined in the DfES ?Success for All? targets.

Teachers delivering HE in FE are exempt from any requirements under these regulations provided that they teach solely on HE programmes."

16. And for teachers with QTS:

Teachers holding QTS
    Teachers holding QTS will not be required to gain another teaching qualification. Those entered the sector before 1 September 2007 will not be obliged to gain QTLS or ATLS but as with other teachers it will be encouraged. Those entering the sector after 1 September 2007 will be required to gain QTLS or ATLS within two years, except where teaching solely in a Sixth Form College where QTS is deemed appropriate professional status if linked to ongoing GTC(E) registration.

Vis new teachers it is relevent to note that for the purposes of the regulations a teacher with QTS is automatically recognised as having QTLS in an FE College.

17. a teacher with qts is deemed to meet the qualification requirements, not deemed to have qtls

18. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Clear as mud.

What happens if we don't register? I don't know anyone at my college who has. One e-mail was sent out by the Staff Training boss which not every teacher received due to e-mail address ****-ups, so some teachers were never even notified.

19. *********** although pre 2001 you were not required to hold teaching qualifications the IfL now insist that you do. So even if you were teaching prior to 2001 the regulations now demand that you meet the framework.

There is a good site on the city and guilds site about QTLS.

20. Also you do have to register with the IfL even if you work in the private sector if you are taking public funded money.