1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IfL - Union Update

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by Mistermandolin, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Sixth Form College teachers who are members of teacher unions have recently received the following information, issued jointly by the ATL, NASUWT and NUT:
    'The Sixth Form Colleges Forum and the teacher unions have agreed joint advice regarding teachers in sixth form colleges' registration with the IfL or GTCE.
    At present, IfL is issuing requests for payment of registration fees for the period from 1 April 2011 to teachers already registered with IfL. Following the decision to abolish the GTCE, however, DfE ministers have announced that all teachers in sixth form colleges will in future be covered by the same arrangements as those in schools. The SCFC and the teacher unions are now pursuing joint discussions with DfE. On this basis, the SCFC and the teacher unions' joint advice is that colleges should not put pressure on any teacher to register with the IfL, and that teachers should not join or make payments to the IfL at this stage pending a resolution of the matter.' (Emphasis mine).
    I am aware that this advice does not extend to FE, but given the amount of discussion that the issue of IfL membership and fees has created on this site I thought I would post this purely for information. I am also aware that a lot of sixth form college teachers post on the 'FE - General' boards and may not be aware of this advice.
    Another nail in the IfL's coffin? Well, every little helps, and it's been encouraging to read on other posts and threads that many FE colleges are now doing the right and sensible thing by refusing to enforce or endorse the IfL's disgraceful attempt at imposing a tax to teach. As things currently stand in the sixth-form college sector, the IfL is effectively dead in the water.

2. Sixth Form College teachers who are members of teacher unions have recently received the following information, issued jointly by the ATL, NASUWT and NUT:
    'The Sixth Form Colleges Forum and the teacher unions have agreed joint advice regarding teachers in sixth form colleges' registration with the IfL or GTCE.
    At present, IfL is issuing requests for payment of registration fees for the period from 1 April 2011 to teachers already registered with IfL. Following the decision to abolish the GTCE, however, DfE ministers have announced that all teachers in sixth form colleges will in future be covered by the same arrangements as those in schools. The SCFC and the teacher unions are now pursuing joint discussions with DfE. On this basis, the SCFC and the teacher unions' joint advice is that colleges should not put pressure on any teacher to register with the IfL, and that teachers should not join or make payments to the IfL at this stage pending a resolution of the matter.' (Emphasis mine).
    I am aware that this advice does not extend to FE, but given the amount of discussion that the issue of IfL membership and fees has created on this site I thought I would post this purely for information. I am also aware that a lot of sixth form college teachers post on the 'FE - General' boards and may not be aware of this advice.
    Another nail in the IfL's coffin? Well, every little helps, and it's been encouraging to read on other posts and threads that many FE colleges are now doing the right and sensible thing by refusing to enforce or endorse the IfL's disgraceful attempt at imposing a tax to teach. As things currently stand in the sixth-form college sector, the IfL is effectively dead in the water.

3. hip hip hurrah for 6th form colleges - teachers now reduced to names on a list controlled by Gove, what a sweet victory that must be!! what it means in reality, of course, is that with the new Ed Bill effectively removing the need for teachers to be qualified - both schools and 6th form colleges can now get rid of those oh so expensive qualified teachers and employ anyone with a bit of subject expertise and pay them what they like
    I am very pleased for you mistermadoldlin and I'll lob you a few pennies when I pass you as you stand in the dole queue

4. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Cheffy, you really are provocative and insulting. You do not seem to realise that the vast majority of posters on this forum completely oppose your view, despite how frequently you post about it. Your assertions are generally wrong, and there was no need to come back at the above poster in the way you have. I suggest you apologise. By stamping your feet in your evangelical way with "IfL is great" like an IfL Ayatollah, you achieve nothing.