1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IFL - No longer compulsory to be a member

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by cariadwch, Mar 27, 2012.

1. cariadwch

cariadwch Established commenter

2. It actually goes far further than that.
    It proposes the revocation of the 2007 regs and their replacement with;
    "largely discretionary advice to employers on appropriate qualifications for staff and continuous professional developmentadvice to employers"
    So much for QTLS and QTLS/QTS parity. So much for Cert Ed, DTTLS etc.
    What we are really seeing here is the beginning of the deregulation of teaching altogher.

3. ...and essentially the IfL have fallen to their knees in accepting the report;
    http://www.ifl.ac.uk/about-ifl/the-future-of-ifl
    but now complain that it was all the Government's fault for creating the 2007 Regs in the first place,
    "The review’s report makes the mistake of conflating IfL with the regulations and in condemning the latter criticises IfL as if it were responsible for them. This is not the case. Governments make regulations and are responsible for ensuring that they are enforced."

These are the same regs that guaranteed them a membership/income! The same regs they were paid to enforce.

4. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Yes. Because Goves agenda has changed to wanting to privatise FE, thus nobody in FE would be professional any more as the private training providers are now.

5. Isn't it wonderful?

6. As someone once said about a victory of another kind:
    "Rejoice!"

7. Blah, Blah Blah. Bunch of hot air heads. You couldn't get into the IfL if you tried.

8. Obituary: Institute for Learning (IfL) 2002 ? March 2012

The Institute for Learning, 49-51 East Road, Old Street, London N1 6AH; Dearly beloved of founder members, departed this world on 27th March 2012.

Will be sadly missed by the few for whom it provided free entry to the elite London conference, party and ?city boy? circuit and for whom it provided a lucrative source of income.

There will be no funeral service and no prayers. In place of flowers, mourners are requested to make a small donation (of at least £68 per anum) to help maintain the lifestyle and alleviate financial hardship of the deceased?s bereaved, unelected executives for eternity.

So it?s goodbye IfL and thanks for all the....ummm....well....nothing, really....that?s it then....goodbye and thanks for nothing!

9. Well, that was the whole point of the dispute, bbarneybeans. Lots of hot air heads were trying not to get into the IfL.

10. itgeek

itgeek New commenter

Although I thought IFL was pointless, it does seem that some sort of de-regulation is on the way. Yes you can bring in plumbers, hairdressers and any other trade who are short of work and not qualified as teachers to do a bit of teaching (they may even think it is cushy talking to a captive enthusiastic audience !), but if they are any good they won't hang around putting up with all the rest of the C*%P that goes with the job. When eventually finding a salary ceiling they will find that they will always earn more in the private sector during the good times. (This has been my experience in my establishment, as the old guard have left, often pushed or encouraged out of the door, the newer staff who have stayed have wanted to be in FE teaching, but many casual staff have left leaving problems as they depart, Interesting days.)

11. Yippeee!!!!!
    :)

12. You are mistaken. You really do not understand the issues. You are mistaken. It would help you to back to go the IfL website and try very hard to understand what the purpose and function of this organisation are. It would do you good to join. Then you could become professional, instead of ranting in this forum.You are very much mistaken.

13. Perhaps you could summarise the purpose and function of the IfL yourself in order to enlighten those of us who are not yet professional.
    I acknowledge that it is quite possible that I do not understand the issues. Clearly, you do - so explain them to those of us who need to join.

14. Then you could become professional, instead of ranting in this forum.
    ROFL.

15. <font size="2"> </font><font size="2">Professional FE Lecturers existed before the IFL.</font><font size="2">FE Lecturers stayed professional whilst IFL membership was compulsory.</font><font size="2">Professional FE Lecturers will still exist after IFL membership becomes optional.</font><font size="2"> </font>

16. ..and yet the IfL still address letters to me as; 'Mr Shirtandtie MIfL QTLS".
    Strangely they hold me in high esteem, whereas I think they are yesterday's news story.
    I would humbly suggest that perhaps it is you Mr Beans that struggles with the issues.

17. The role of IfL is to support professional development and excellence in order to deliver the best possible teaching experience to millions of learners.
    If you have not taken advantage of all it has to offer you as a member, may I suggest you return to the website and have a new look. As a NiFL and a QTLS you have already gained useful things, but you must not understand how they benefit you.

18. Obviously I am not professional enough to understand how they benefit me - do please explain Mr Beans.

19. The IfL has focused on developing a range of benefits and CPD resources for members
    that helps you in your practice, working towards being the very best teachers and
    trainers you can be. the IfL is committed to giving services to support the profession offering the highest standards of teaching and training so that young people and adult learners have good learning experiences and success. The IfL gives members easy access to research evidence on teaching and training, and information in one place to support your practice

20. You don't actually teach do you barney? Is the IfL paying you to spout this waffle?