1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IFL membership fees - a solution

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by bachelorofbeats, Feb 17, 2011.

1. A lot of people are getting all hot under the collar about the IFL after receiving 'that letter' this week. Amazing how the thought of losing a few quid suddenly makes people very indignant about this always obscenely wasteful organisation.

Most of these indignant people were quite happy to let the taxpayer keep Ms. Fazaeli et al on their undisclosed salaries - money that could have been spent on, oh, let's see: body armour for our young troops, life saving cancer drugs, neonatal facilities?

Anyway, you can all relax. The good news is, if you don't 'renew', NOTHING bad will happen...

Let me explain.

I am a full time lecturer with equal hours spread over two large colleges.

I refused to renew my membership with IFL well over 12 months ago, as my way of helping to tighten the belt of public spending, in a way where REAL public sector jobs (unlike Ms. Fazaeli's) are not put at risk. Naive, I know, but we all have our own moral compass.

I ignored all email and postal requests (and threats) to renew, and let my membership expire. Shortly after, I was telephoned by a pleasant IFL representative (on my personal mobile number, at work!) trying to get me to renew. I explained all the reasons why I would not (same as most sane people) and gave the IFL 18 months of survival at best. She thanked me and I have never heard anything more from them since.

I continue to be employed by both colleges, who are unaware of my sedition. In the last six weeks I have been observed at both colleges and achieved grade 1 outstanding decisions each time. Like most half decent teachers, I easily do more CPD in any given month than the IFL require in a year. My conscience is clear.

I'm happy, my bosses are happy - and it seems my learners are too.

So the moral of the story? Simple:

Ignore IFL completely and they will go away!

Just remember, it wasn't the rioting protesters that smashed the Poll Tax in the end - it was the millions of sensible people who just ignored those letters through the door. Made the whole thing seem a bit silly in the end.

People who do very nicely out of the British tendency to compliance (like Toni Fazaeli) HATE apathy - they are powerless (and jobless) in its wake...

The ball is in our court now - let's get motivated in our apathy! Vote with our indifference!

And let the whole sorry episode just fizzle out...

2. A lot of people are getting all hot under the collar about the IFL after receiving 'that letter' this week. Amazing how the thought of losing a few quid suddenly makes people very indignant about this always obscenely wasteful organisation.

Most of these indignant people were quite happy to let the taxpayer keep Ms. Fazaeli et al on their undisclosed salaries - money that could have been spent on, oh, let's see: body armour for our young troops, life saving cancer drugs, neonatal facilities?

Anyway, you can all relax. The good news is, if you don't 'renew', NOTHING bad will happen...

Let me explain.

I am a full time lecturer with equal hours spread over two large colleges.

I refused to renew my membership with IFL well over 12 months ago, as my way of helping to tighten the belt of public spending, in a way where REAL public sector jobs (unlike Ms. Fazaeli's) are not put at risk. Naive, I know, but we all have our own moral compass.

I ignored all email and postal requests (and threats) to renew, and let my membership expire. Shortly after, I was telephoned by a pleasant IFL representative (on my personal mobile number, at work!) trying to get me to renew. I explained all the reasons why I would not (same as most sane people) and gave the IFL 18 months of survival at best. She thanked me and I have never heard anything more from them since.

I continue to be employed by both colleges, who are unaware of my sedition. In the last six weeks I have been observed at both colleges and achieved grade 1 outstanding decisions each time. Like most half decent teachers, I easily do more CPD in any given month than the IFL require in a year. My conscience is clear.

I'm happy, my bosses are happy - and it seems my learners are too.

So the moral of the story? Simple:

Ignore IFL completely and they will go away!

Just remember, it wasn't the rioting protesters that smashed the Poll Tax in the end - it was the millions of sensible people who just ignored those letters through the door. Made the whole thing seem a bit silly in the end.

People who do very nicely out of the British tendency to compliance (like Toni Fazaeli) HATE apathy - they are powerless (and jobless) in its wake...

The ball is in our court now - let's get motivated in our apathy! Vote with our indifference!

And let the whole sorry episode just fizzle out...

3. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

You are correct. If nobody pays, how would they have any funds to continue, and how could they chase anybody for money. They would surely be "bankrupt", and I can't see the HMG baling them out.

4. I have never joined.

5. Is that why you are leaving FE? Your employer found out you were not fulfilling the critieria for the job??

6. Not me, bachelorofbeats. I have been complaining for some while now, and certainly before any of us had to shell out real money.
    However, you should not assume that your employers are unaware of your sedition. The IfL provides handy membership data lists to those employers who request them. Indeed such an offer has been repeated by the IfL in recent weeks.
    But as to your main point that one should ignore the IfL, one can only hope that thousands follow your lead.

7. Yes! But as we are all such sheep I doubt that'll happen!
    Mind you, I have no idea how they would know if we did just 'forget' to pay up! They don't know about the last influx of teachery types, who, in turn, have no idea what IfL is!
    HR don't seem to have done anything about letting anyone know!!

8. If, like me, you object to paying for IfL, then please write to your MP.
    This old-fashioned remedy is still very effective. Your MP will have to reply to you. He or she will log the number of leters, and forward them to the relevent minister, who will have to do the same.
    When you get a reply, follow up with further comments or objections. This will cause the politicians to go through the exercise again. They will become irritated. Then they will change the rules.
    Points to raise in your letter are :-
    IfL fees are a stealth tax. We have to belong, we have no option, so the fee is just a tax.
    IfL is not elected. They have never organised a proper ballot for the leadership.
    IfL did not cnsult about the fees.
    IfL fee is double what GTC used to charge teachers for the same service.
    IfL services to members at best duplicate what our trade Unions and existing professional bodies already provide.
    QTLS status carries no weight with employers or students. My existing teacher qualifications (degree + PGCE) are adequate, as are colleagues with Cert Ed, etc.
    IfL's process of CPD is useless (just say what you read, no proof required) and their verification exercise is inefective (get a colleague to sign some photocopies & then scan them & email to IfL). Sorry, but any fraudster can easily dodge that process.
    And, if all that fails, just refuse to pay until the MP has said you must.

9. Its theft! nothing more, nothing less. With 200,000 members (according to Toni the taxer's linkedin) they will generate at least 13.6 million pounds.
    Wheres will it be spent?
    Will we see the accounts?
    Do we need it?
    Do we want it?
    Should we have it?
    I won't be paying until she takes me to court!

10. I agree completely. The IfL run a website, a database and a small office. If they don't have a small office, the should. Most of their work involves rubber-stamping teaching qualifications. The rest is already being done by others.
    Where is the genuine need for such a huge income - an income extorted from people whose jobs are under threat, whose pay is being frozen and whose pensions and working conditions are under attack?
    In fact, what tangible rewards has the IfL brought to its members? Somewhere to type in your CPD?

11. If your 'college' has done this it will be breaking the law - and I very much doubt the governors will allow that - unless you are in a 6th form college and then you don't count because 6th form colleges have decided to go back to being schools, which suits me because they can now stopteaching catering badly

12. As I understand it a college in receipt of public funds must oblige its teaching staff to be members of the IfL as a condition of its funding.
    So unless it is a privately funded (or a sixth form college) I can't see how this is possible.

13. Like other colleagues Ive talked to, I won’t be paying the £68 stealth tax for a useless non-service.

Luckily the HR department has devolved most of its responsibilities
    to an employment agency, so won’t bother checking if I’m still a member.
    Happy days!

14. That's my understanding too!
    I am still postponing my payment until the last moment but shall not be putting my salary at risk for £68.
    I shall continue to query the amount though!
    I also expect the IfL to be telling us again how wonderful it is and how it has managed to get all of us QTLS (or equivalents) QTS parity! THAT alone should make it worth the fee - apparently!
    Yes, I do remain sceptical!

15. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Occasional commenter

What I don't understand is, if people with QTLS can now happily teach in schools (with no apparent time limit requiring them to get QTS), why doesn't it work the other way? Despite teaching exactly the same subjects I did when teaching in school, I still have to get QTLS within 2 years of starting work in FE.

16. You noticed that too.
    Indeed. There is a basic misunderstanding that QTS qualifies the holder to teach in FE. It doesn't.
    The perversity of the regulations are such that when I started in FE (with QTS and a L6 teaching qual) I was obliged to gain QTLS within two years (not that that was difficult). Whereas my colleague who had no teaching experience or qualifications who started at the same time has five years to gain QTLS.
    So far from QTS being an advantage in FE, in terms of letters after your name the reverse is actually true.

17. And me, with my certifcate dated 4 days before Sept 1st, don't have to gain it ever!!!
    I figure that the old, and probably the new, system means:
    1. if QTS bod wants to take a drop in wages then they can earn 100% of an FE salary and take 2 years to fill out an online form.
    2. If a QTLS (or not) bod wants to work in a school they can, for less salary than everyone else and they have to do a lot of work to gain QTS.
    So even if I wanted to I couldn't start a school job with parity of pay or esteem! It was always the esteem that bothered me as I don't want to work in a school - which is why I am FE qualified in the first place!

18. Indeed this is the case.
    But this is not the case now.
    If you move from FE with QTLS to a school you will be paid more and there is no requirement to gain QTS.

19. I know! But I still have a few doubts that it could be that easy. There's bound to be a wrinkle somewhere!
    Or Gove will reverse himself, the Coalition seem to be very good at that!

20. Me too. And I suspect more than one.