1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IfL: Crisis of Confidence

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by Institutionalised, Jun 7, 2011.

1. The exposure by elected Advisory Council members of the IfL&rsquo;s democratic dysfunction (&ldquo;Union rejects fee hike U-turn and votes to boycott IfL&rdquo;, 3 June) highlights the progressive isolation of the vocal minority of advocates for the IfL&rsquo;s discredited, managerialist model of professionalism. The IfL&rsquo;s modest electoral participation rates and invalid member surveys weaken the credibility of its associated satisfaction claims; and are increasingly undermined as thousands of time-poor lecturers contribute to petitions, social networks, CPD surveys, trade union conferences, and discussions in staff rooms: all expressing their rejection of a sectoral flat rate stealth tax and reflecting a clear refutation of non-developmental approaches to CPD.Opposition to the IfL fee is additionally symptomatic of a general malaise: the degradation of pay, conditions and pensions; the casualisation of part time and agency staff; issues of career development, pay differentials and promotion for women, Black, disabled and LGBT lecturers; the widening gulf between lecturers&rsquo; pay and executive salaries; and the glaring inconsistencies in the wider sector&rsquo;s professionalism agenda with school teachers and HE lecturers, and indeed FE lecturers in Wales and Scotland, exempt from control by mandatory professional bodies.It is self evident that professional recognition remains remote and that the sector&rsquo;s highly professional lecturers have not only been failed they have been subjected to additional burdens, and fundamentally the IfL has set back the debate on the validity of a professional body in the sector. Whatever the ultimate outcome of the current crisis of confidence any resolution must be genuinely informed, steered and led by practitioners. <ol style="margin-top:0cm;"><li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Hammud Al-Khatib (Liverpool Community College),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">John Baxter (Hillsborough College Sheffield),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Jeanne Bell (WEA tutor),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">James Broome (Derby College),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Gemma Charters (Liverpool Community College)<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Eddie Chinn (Liverpool Community College),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Charlie Clark (NVQ Assessor),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Terry Clarke (HMP Altcourse),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">John H Collins (Cornwall College Camborne),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Gill Czarnecka (Liverpool Community College),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Maire Daley (Liverpool Community College),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Yvonne Dunn (ACL Tutor),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Susan Gillard (Adult Learning Tutor),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Martha Harris (Liverpool Community College),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Ian Hurd (UCU Chair, South Essex College),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Nathalie Joel (ACL Tutor),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Angie McConnell (Wigan and Leigh College, IfL Advisory Council),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Jeremy Peake (Ely Community College),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Tony Poole (Liverpool Community College),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Joel Petrie (Liverpool Community College),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Eleanor Roscoe,<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Doug Rouxel (South Essex College, UCU National Executive Committee),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Jonathan Russell (The Manchester College),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Cherry Sandover (South Essex College),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Emma Shaw (Medway Adult and Community Learning Service),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Kathryn Shaw (Cronton Sixth Form, Widnes),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Jago Silver (Truro College, Cornwall),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Barbara Spence (part time ESOL teacher),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Colin Twinn,<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Andy Weaver (South Essex College),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Simon Westcott (Guildford College of Further and Higher Education),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Laurence Wright (Truro College), <li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Ian Hurd (UCU Chair, South Essex College),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Jeremy Peake (Ely Community College), <li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Emma Shaw (Medway Adult and Community Learning Service),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Sean Vernell (UCU National Executive Committee),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Mihail Vlasiu (Norfolk Adult Education),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Andy Weaver (South Essex College),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Simon Westcott (Guildford College of Further and Higher Education),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Rosemary Anne Williams (WEA Tutor),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Lawrence Wright (Truro College).</ol>

2. The exposure by elected Advisory Council members of the IfL&rsquo;s democratic dysfunction (&ldquo;Union rejects fee hike U-turn and votes to boycott IfL&rdquo;, 3 June) highlights the progressive isolation of the vocal minority of advocates for the IfL&rsquo;s discredited, managerialist model of professionalism. The IfL&rsquo;s modest electoral participation rates and invalid member surveys weaken the credibility of its associated satisfaction claims; and are increasingly undermined as thousands of time-poor lecturers contribute to petitions, social networks, CPD surveys, trade union conferences, and discussions in staff rooms: all expressing their rejection of a sectoral flat rate stealth tax and reflecting a clear refutation of non-developmental approaches to CPD.Opposition to the IfL fee is additionally symptomatic of a general malaise: the degradation of pay, conditions and pensions; the casualisation of part time and agency staff; issues of career development, pay differentials and promotion for women, Black, disabled and LGBT lecturers; the widening gulf between lecturers&rsquo; pay and executive salaries; and the glaring inconsistencies in the wider sector&rsquo;s professionalism agenda with school teachers and HE lecturers, and indeed FE lecturers in Wales and Scotland, exempt from control by mandatory professional bodies.It is self evident that professional recognition remains remote and that the sector&rsquo;s highly professional lecturers have not only been failed they have been subjected to additional burdens, and fundamentally the IfL has set back the debate on the validity of a professional body in the sector. Whatever the ultimate outcome of the current crisis of confidence any resolution must be genuinely informed, steered and led by practitioners. <ol style="margin-top:0cm;"><li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Hammud Al-Khatib (Liverpool Community College),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">John Baxter (Hillsborough College Sheffield),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Jeanne Bell (WEA tutor),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">James Broome (Derby College),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Gemma Charters (Liverpool Community College)<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Eddie Chinn (Liverpool Community College),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Charlie Clark (NVQ Assessor),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Terry Clarke (HMP Altcourse),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">John H Collins (Cornwall College Camborne),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Gill Czarnecka (Liverpool Community College),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Maire Daley (Liverpool Community College),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Yvonne Dunn (ACL Tutor),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Susan Gillard (Adult Learning Tutor),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Martha Harris (Liverpool Community College),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Ian Hurd (UCU Chair, South Essex College),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Nathalie Joel (ACL Tutor),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Angie McConnell (Wigan and Leigh College, IfL Advisory Council),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Jeremy Peake (Ely Community College),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Tony Poole (Liverpool Community College),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Joel Petrie (Liverpool Community College),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Eleanor Roscoe,<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Doug Rouxel (South Essex College, UCU National Executive Committee),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Jonathan Russell (The Manchester College),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Cherry Sandover (South Essex College),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Emma Shaw (Medway Adult and Community Learning Service),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Kathryn Shaw (Cronton Sixth Form, Widnes),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Jago Silver (Truro College, Cornwall),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Barbara Spence (part time ESOL teacher),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Colin Twinn,<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Andy Weaver (South Essex College),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Simon Westcott (Guildford College of Further and Higher Education),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Laurence Wright (Truro College), <li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Ian Hurd (UCU Chair, South Essex College),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Jeremy Peake (Ely Community College), <li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Emma Shaw (Medway Adult and Community Learning Service),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Sean Vernell (UCU National Executive Committee),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Mihail Vlasiu (Norfolk Adult Education),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Andy Weaver (South Essex College),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Simon Westcott (Guildford College of Further and Higher Education),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Rosemary Anne Williams (WEA Tutor),<li style="line-height:150%;margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Lawrence Wright (Truro College).</ol>

3. The following members of Liverpool Community College wish to be added to the list of signatories of this posting.
    42. Chuca Russo (Liverpool Community College)43. Frank Downes44. Pam Barr45. Helen Hand46. Elaine Winstanley47. Paul Gatenby48. Nigel Blackstock

4. It may be of interest that after we'd sent letter to TES we had very many additional emails from colleagues wanting to endorse it. This included senior UCU elected people & very interestingly elected IfL Advisory Council people (in addition to Angie McConnell who is on letter) - they were Bea Groves & Lynne Western.

5. Any form of review orchestrated by the IfL is bound to provoke suspicion and any recommmendations would probably be ignored as they're not legally binding.
    But why reinvent the wheel? Why not take advice from the 'Review of Vocational Education, The Wolf Report': "employers should be...the most important guarantor of high quality vocational provision."
    That puts IfL in its place if you ask me!

6. Agree entirely with both of you. I can just see some old-buffer minister holding endless meetings, attended by various IfL stooges all on vast expenses (and busily Twittering while attending said meetings), which would lead precisely nowhere. Meanwhile, members' interests will continue to be ignored and they will continue to be treated as cash cows - or butchered to make an IfL holiday.

7. Hang on a minute, where have the last four posts gone from myself, Rosemary and weaver_fish???
    It appears they've been deleted!! Somebody must have complained. Can't imagine who!
    Strange what people do when confronted with some truthful observations......
    Furthermore, the delightfully satirical 'tripe' post, from another thread, has also been deleted, along with it's replies!
    Hail the dictatorship!! Absolute power is all. You make me laugh......

8. You might have accidentally strayed a bit close to a T+C.
    If you named someone/where or said something that TES don't agree with (that could cause them legal problems)... I would imagine a lot in this topic is being moderated as it could be a bit of a minefield.
    Where you respectful, polite and fully T+Cd - or slightly tripey??

9. Thanks Pobble. I rang the TES curious as to why they'd been deleted. I was told there had been a complaint so they had to take them down. With direct tweets relating to the original posts appearing on a certain twitter page it's pretty obvious who it was.
    I cannot understand how voicing my opinion about not wanting to pay an institution which allows it's leadership to waste time on twitter, whilst we're working our bits off in the classroom, could be wrong!
    I guess my second post with the '***' reference may have deserved to be deleted, but like I told the helpful lady at the TES, in my opinion the person is a ***.
    As for other peoples deleted posts I honestly could not see any problem with them!
    Being new to the forums, I'm actually quite pleased I got such a reaction from the institution so soon. The pathetic way in which they attempt to censor our views is rather funny.
    Now I've been careful not to mention names of companies or people, so hopefully the child won't throw the toys.....

10. Oh - I see, a pillock strikes again!
    To be a little be devil's advocate - they usually sort of ignore all sorts until someone complains. They don't always ignore the pillocks when they complain though!

Stick around and you'll soon see the patterns - and pillocks - though I seem to be blind to them until I get bitten - hey ho!
    [​IMG]

11. I have openly expressed my feelings, in this forum and directly to the IfL, about a person sending tweets, through their personal Twitter page, during the working day and me being expected to pay towards their wage.
    What would be the answer?? Would it be to stop, and only send FE related tweets through the IfL Twitter page, where members would be looking? No, that would be professional.
    It appears the correct answer is to protect your tweets, meaning only followers can see them! Now what message would that give? Perhaps one which says 'I'll send as many tweets as I want, when I want and screw you', possibly accompanied by a large raspberry and two finger salute! I don't care what the tweets contain. It's the fact that paid time is being wasted, and members are expected to pick up the bill.
    Obviously, this makes me even more reluctant to pay. But that doesn't seem to matter to the IfL. I have strong prinicples and I'm getting closer and closer to leaving FE. I think I, and colleagues, are too professional for this bunch of monkeys........that explains the need for the free bananas!

12. Is TES a 'follower' of Tweety-Pie? May explain the disappearance of many messages from this board.
    By way of contrast, it's funny how numerous sneering messages from a certain culinary person calling the rest of us pillocks, half-wits, etc. never got deleted. Presumably the recipients (of whom I am proud to be one) were grown up enough to ignore them.
    Tweet tweet!

13. 70% of UCU members balloted have rejected the IfL proposals. If this is extrapolated across the FE membership as a whole that would equate to about 24,000 UCU members following the union advice not to pay. At &pound;38 a pop that is about a &pound;900k hole in expected income. But it is probably more than that when ATL members and other non-payers are added in.
    But with a &pound;2M reserve the IfL is well placed to weather even these pressures on income.
    The real pressure will be political.
    It is now becomming clearer that there is no longer any support for compulsory IfL membership from the management of my college. The college is a significant player and cannot be easily leant on by government or the SFA, (too big to fail and too many rosettes on display in the front window). If other AoC players take the same line then a long game will evolve in which the IfL and/or government will have to concede more.

14. This is the same position as the senior managers at my college.

This will, indeed, be a long game.

15. WEA have also demonstrated a total lack of appetite for enforcing WA membership on its tutors. Three cheers for doughty employers who refuse to poodle to the IfL!

16. I doubt very much whether doughtiness had anything to do with it.