1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IfL bends - offers a FREE year, but I say stand firm, and kill it off forever

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by mr_paul_mchugh, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Today IfL waivered, and offered to reduce it's membership fees to £34 per year for this year and next, with a promise that the third year will not exceed £68,
    I say stand firm, don't pay a penny. This concession is a clear confession that the fee is ridiculously too high (GTC only ever charged £35) and that the vast majority of Lecturers have not paid.
    By continuing to oppose this stealth tax, we pressure the government to withdraw this unelected and unrepresentative body.
    If we are to have a compulsory professional body, let us start from the beginning, by having a debate, drawing up a proper constitution, electing a management group, and agreeing terms of reference. IfL was never formed from the members, it was a small group who fancied wielding a bit of power. (They succeeded!)
    Refuse to pay. Wait to see what happens. No college is going to dismiss its entire workforce.

2. Today IfL waivered, and offered to reduce it's membership fees to £34 per year for this year and next, with a promise that the third year will not exceed £68,
    I say stand firm, don't pay a penny. This concession is a clear confession that the fee is ridiculously too high (GTC only ever charged £35) and that the vast majority of Lecturers have not paid.
    By continuing to oppose this stealth tax, we pressure the government to withdraw this unelected and unrepresentative body.
    If we are to have a compulsory professional body, let us start from the beginning, by having a debate, drawing up a proper constitution, electing a management group, and agreeing terms of reference. IfL was never formed from the members, it was a small group who fancied wielding a bit of power. (They succeeded!)
    Refuse to pay. Wait to see what happens. No college is going to dismiss its entire workforce.

3. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

The IfL has caused nothing but damage to F E.
    They are a spent force on the wain and we should stick together to see them on their way.
    If you support the IfL you will look back with shame at a period of history when a madness entered into F E.
    If you're a member I say you should leave now and hold on to your own standards (if you can remember them and regain them).
    No true professional would have anything to do with the IfL.
    They are a cancer to the sector.
    It's a deep sickness that they ever got involved in FE.
    Their twisted illness needs to end.
    If you don't remember who you are as an F E professional, leaving the IfL will help you regain some pride in your work.

4. reflective_pedant

reflective_pedant New commenter

kill the IfL!
    don't pay.

5. Well put, Terry. I agree with every word except perhaps your conclusion. I'm all for complaining about this cancer in the body of FE, but I would say that 'Not to pay is to reject.' Will the government step in to make up the shortfall from up to 180,000 non-payers' fees? If so, it might as well pay the lot and load the burden of this poisonous organisation back on to the unfortunate taxpayer (though in that case I, as a taxpayer, should still campaign for its abolition). If the answer is 'no', then the IfL will perish as soon as it has chomped its way through its very considerable existing reserves, and good riddance.
    Incidentally, isn't it ironic how bothe IfL and BIS keep trumpeting about IfL's independence, and yet IfL needs the backing of government coercion in order to extort even a fraction of the money it claims to require? Not to mention the IfL's reiterated threats to invoke legislation in order to get non-payers sacked. A wonderful defender of FE rights, ain't it?