1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If you're renting out your home in the UK....

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by towncryer, Sep 15, 2020.

1. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

Many of you know this already but I just thought I would point this out.
    While we have been preoccupied with our situations overseas it might have been overlooked that the UK have been dramatically moving the goal posts over private lets
    If your home is let out and you're not sure how things will work out overseas this year, just be aware that there is now a 6 month notice period to evict your tenant...with rumours rumbling that this notice period might be extended further.
    I know it's easy to think you're out of the UK for good but these are precarious times and I for one would not like to find myself jobless and homeless as well...worst case scenario I know but better to be prepared than sorry.
    If you let out your property I advise check with your letting agent where you would be if you need to return unexpectedly.

2. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

I mean it is kind of fair enough right? Why should tenants have fewer rights simply because their landlord works abroad? You are afterall taking what is usually a substantial amount of money from the tenant and they pay that so the place is their home not yours during the agreed period.

stopwatch and 24hours like this.
  3. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

I'm not discussing what is fair for the tenant. I am just letting people know that it won't be so easy to get their property back under the current rule changes. It could cause problems for individuals and families working oversea...so better to be forewarned . If people read this and then check the situation out..all well and good. That's all.

frodo_magic and Caligraphy like this.
  4. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

Also sign an NRL 1 form. All rental income is taxable and the interest relief is being removed.

5. hs9981

hs9981 Lead commenter

Article D, sub clause iii does offer hope that it is, in fact possible to get your home back before the 6 month mark:

'tho shalt enter into an cash arrangement for the sum of no less than 300 pounds with the local traveller site. Upon cash payment, services shall be applied for a period of no longer than six weeks.....'

'The cost of all cosmetic damage to the property shall be borne by the property owner, the service supplier pledges not to cause structural damage to the property, nor threaten the tenants with firearms.'

6. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

If you are renting your home eg for £750 a month and you have to return unexpectedly, why not just use the rental income to rent somewhere yourself whilst the tenant lives out the 6 month notice period?
    Another option; we used to rent 2 rooms in the house via ‘spare room’ which meant that we also had use of the house, and the third bedroom, when we came home for the Summer.
    Simple solutions really.

bedby9 and 24hours like this.
  7. eburor

eburor New commenter

Much ado about nothing really...

Before COVID, if you wanted possession back then you would have to submit a s21 notice which is two months anyway. Then you have to enforce that s21 through the courts which might take another month or three. So it was already 3 - 5 months to regain possession. Plus, lets acknowledge that most people (including letting agents) have no idea how to actually serve a s21 notice and so most of them can be easily defeated by a tenant in court which puts you back at square one.

The bottom line is that landlords should never consider a property that is let out as 'your home' anyway and certainly not be expecting to regain possession quickly. The law is a balance of rights; and a tenant has a right to not be made homeless at a moments notice because of something a school or government did on the other side of the world. In fact, all I've heard in the last few years is that the s21 notice is living on borrowed time and will, at some point, be revoked. So 6 months notice might not actually be that bad in the grand scheme of things...