1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IF you're offered the job ....

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by senlady, Mar 10, 2016.

1. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

How can one go about asking for sometime to consider it?

This is something I would NEVER do for a uk post. This is an overseas post and I was not asked in interview if I was still a firm candidate.

I AM still a firm candidate but if offered the post I would need to have those last discussions with my dependants and other half before saying yes, it has to be right for all.

How do I phrase 'can I consider it and come back to you?'

2. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

As with many other things - 'it depends'

If they say they want a response NOW or TODAY, if you are happy with the job per se, then say yes. Then follow this up with the necessary conversations. You can always pull out, but don't leave it more than a couple of days maximum. Make sure your reasons are 'professional' and 'valid'.

If they say they can wait a couple of days then have the discussions as soon as possible and get back to them.

However...... it seems quite strange that you haven't already had those discussions, and that you don't know whether it would be a goer or not already.

3. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

I think that if you have told them you have a family then they will probably expect that you will want to discuss it with them. However, maybe preempt that by having a talk with your family now about whether you would want to take it if offered. Then you can always have any questions that you as a family have ready in advance. Then it's easier to say, 'Thanks for answering those questions. I just want to relay the information you've given me to my family and then I can make a final decision'.

That's just what I would do. I'm sure others will have more ideas.

Kartoshka and stopwatch like this.
  4. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

We have had and are having those discussions, constantly. We still need some questions answered but some may not get answered, which means ultimately there are 'risks' for us all and whilst it is still all a 'what if discussion' making that ultimate choice is put off.

If it is a contract of X years but things don't go well one could still leave after Y years couldn't one?

5. compostela2004

compostela2004 New commenter

My wife has just been offered a job in Eastern Europe. She got an Email outlining the offer yesterday however the salary is about a third of what she is getting at the moment. We have two children and although they would get places at the school, it is only a reduction in fees, this plus paying for accommodation etc.etc. means that she will have to turn down the offer. She was not told of the 'package' at all during the application process but was reluctant to ask - perhaps that was a mistake?

6. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

most international schools have two year initial contracts. some schools might have a "get out" clause after one year. i have seen this used in one of my previous schools, as a couple joined and hated it, so the school released them from the contract. Remember that it is very expensive to get you out there, especially if you have family with you, but schools wouldn't really keep someone "who doesn't want to be there". you may have to pay back some of the costs if you do leave after one year. i wouldn't make this one of your questions though, as you might find that the offers wont arrive !!!

7. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Usually contracts are for 2 years in the first instance. In some situations it is possible to leave earlier than this, but there will usually be financial consequences eg you lose your flight allowance, or you lose your gratuity.
    Most good schools will see the sense in not making you complete 2 years if you are not happy, or there is a valid, genuine reason.

8. Roseea123

Roseea123 New commenter

I'm in the same difficult situation. My issue is now I have three job offers all different places in the Middle East and all very different packages but I can't decide what I want more than the other. I too have children to consider so really don't know what to do. One have arranged to Skype again to discuss concerns and package this weekend. The others have given 5 days to accept but I've prolonged it by asking questions and waiting for them to get back to me with answers. I just feel overwhelmed and the internet as well as online forums don't make the decision and easier!

9. musikteech

musikteech Occasional commenter

ea123 which countries exactly and why do you want to go to the ME, esp if you have children accompanying you.

10. Roseea123

Roseea123 New commenter

Culture. That's my reason. I'm 100% sure it is ME I want. However, knowing what will be the best place is the issue I want the best of both worlds. Busy but quiet. Ha. My offers are Sharjah, Qatar and Saudi. I've already turned down Kuwait because of where the school was located and reviews. My husband is more for Saudi but I am not as I don't think I can totally cope with how strict it can be for women.

11. musikteech

If you're in Riyadh then you can at least visit the local shopping malls. You won't be able to drink there though. Qatar has lots of drinking places and expensive restaurants. Sharjah most likely will be quiet as the main cities are Abu Dhabi and Dubai. I got on well in Abu Dhabi and you can drink there too. Saudi is most likely to be the highest paid but don't take less than 13000SAR a month if I were you.

12. Roseea123

Roseea123 New commenter

I don't want Saudi! We don't drink or party so not worried about that. Just want somewhere that will be nice to have our family time on evenings and weekends. Nice beach and places to visit. Not asking for much. :)
    I think the deal breaker will be education fees as well as pay. At the moment the issue is deciding whether we can cope with an apartment for a better area or a villa but the school being so far out that there is no where to go unless you drive into the city! It's a difficult one.

13. musikteech

You will have to pay 12 months upfront in the UAE for an apartment or villa. Ithink you can give 4 quarterly post-dated cheques. So it's a risk cos if you lose your job, you will lose all that rent money. Yeh, keep away from Saudi I would, Riyadh traffic is mental. I don't know much about culture in UAE. I saw some musicians singing in the malls when I was there. That's about the only culture I saw and camel racing.

14. Roseea123

Roseea123 New commenter

Well not sure how it works with accommodation as they are paying for it in each job but doesn't state how? They are classed as the schools accommodation so I'm assuming they pay it directly as it makes no difference to me as it is not out of my pocket whether I lose it or not. The Saudi job is in Jeddah but it's not my top 2 of consideration. Have you accepted anything yet? Are you still looking at Saudi?

15. musikteech

I got rejnected for a TEFL job near the airport in Riyad and am glad really as it is apparently out in the sticks with no taxis available to go anywhere. I've got another interview coming up next week and am waiting for a university in Al Khobar to interview me cos they've said I've been shortlisted. For me it's the money cos TEFL jobs anywhere except the middle east are low paid on the whole. If your housing is paid for then great! UAE is the best, go there I would. Qatar is small with towers in the city centre, that's all there is there.

ea123 likes this.
  16. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

no ME for me at present! I think we are settled on our answers, well for this evening, we may swing the other way again tomorrow.

Personally I think we have to take the chance and leap into the unknown, it may all go pearshaped but I think we can live easier with that than we can with the wondering what if!

17. Roseea123

Roseea123 New commenter

Very true. It is a risk but worth taking rather than wondering what if. Good luck all.

18. ejclibrarian

Best leap into the unknown I've ever taken. Actually, best decision I've ever made in my entire life.

ea123 likes this.
  19. Roseea123

Roseea123 New commenter

Where have you moved to? What are you enjoying? It's great to see a positive comment. Many posts are so negative!

20. ejclibrarian

We're in Taiwan and absolutely love it. The people are friendly and welcoming, and the food is amazing. There is always stuff to see and do. Taipei is a very metropolitan city with lots of great restaurants, museums, art galleries, bars/clubs etc. It's a very green city with parks everywhere, and you can be in the mountains or by the sea within 40 minutes if you live in the center of the city. From where we are, we can be by the sea in 25 and the mountains are behind our house.

Public transport is clean, fast and efficient. The city is insanely clean. I mean it's not clinical like Singapore but still, very very clean for such a densely populated city. All the signs and public transport have English signs and people are always ready to help you if you even look vaguely lost.

We felt instantly at home here. Within days of arriving we both couldn't imagine living anywhere else. We live in a beautiful apartment that we could never have afforded back home. Hard wood floors, two bedrooms and an office. We are able to save a good amount of money every month. Housing is covered by the school.

You don't have to learn Chinese but it does help. I know a lot of teachers who never bothered and get by but I am learning and really enjoying it. Finding a local to do language exchange with is useful because while Mandarin is spoken the Taiwanese have their own words and phrases for things. It's good to learn those.

ea123 likes this.