1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If you’re happy and you know it...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by install, May 13, 2020.

1. install

install Star commenter

I have extremely fond memories of primary school - especially singing songs in assembly. ‘If you’re happy and you know it (clap your hands)’ always takes me back to those innocent, carefree and fun filled days.

What happy school song takes you back to being a child again and do you still sing it?

2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

"Farmer, farmer, sow your seed" and '"To be a pilgrim" takes me right back to sitting cross-legged in the hall for infant assemblies;
    "Ho ro my nut-brown maiden"; "Hearts of Oak"; "The Ash Grove"; "Sweet Polly Oliver" and "Blow away the Morning Dew" recalls the Singing Together programme

install, sunshineneeded and Lidnod like this.
  3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Faith Of Our Fathers. And no, I don't sing it. I do like a jolly bouncy hymn and we started every day at school with one, followed by chanting the times tables, before we even sat down.

Singing Together was always eagerly anticipated. The Little Drummer, The Lincolnshire Poacher and Twankydillo spring to mind.

install, Nanny Ogg and Lidnod like this.
  4. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

My mum had an old singing together book. I used some of the songs with my children's choir and I was really impressed with the quality of the songs and piano accompaniments, which were quite hard! The children loved them.

install, monicabilongame and Lidnod like this.
  5. Lidnod

Lidnod Star commenter

Tell me the stories of Jesus. Loved that at primary school assemblies.

Boney was a Warrior, the Skye Boat song, Green Grow the Rushes O, Marie’s Wedding, Kookaburra Sings on an Old Oak tree, and a rich treasury of other folk songs.

6. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

If you're happy...I associate with Brownies. Skye boat song, Johnny Todd, lots of hymns. When we were in year 3 of juniors Mrs Parry taught us Silent Night in German

7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

We had an assembly every day at primary school which always had at least one hymn that we all stood up to sing. Those often play unbidden on my internal jukebox though I haven't actually sung them out loud for decades.

To be a pilgrim - especially the "Hobgoblin nor foul fiend" line.
    For those in peril on the sea - we would sing this when there was a ship in trouble reported on the news.
    We plough the fields and scatter - God doing proper godly things like watering seeds and sending appropriate seasonal weather.

Some of the Singing Together ones come up too (just googled it, it was on from 1939 to 2001!).

Little Liza Jane
    Jamaica Farewell
    Marie’s Wedding

8. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

@Twankydillo; that takes me back. 'Twankydillo, Twankydillo, Twankydillo-dillo-dillo-dillo'.

The loudspeaker got wheeled in for the programme, 'Time and Tune', and booklets with the music and the words handed out. Sometimes, the 'music trolley' appeared, which had triangles, wooden blocks, glockenspiels, and a ridge of tambourines along the top, like a Rhodesian dog. The more musically gifted among us took these back to their desks and bashed away, while the rest did our best to sing along. On song that sticks in my mind had a refrain that went, I think, 'Oh! The raggle taggle gypsies, Oh!"

The assembly hall had two huge things, which looked like very large versions of a reporter's notepad, which had to be hoisted down, the pages flipped over to the words of the desired hymn, and hoisted back upon the wall.

'He who would valiant be', and 'He who would true valour see' caused confusion, as some classes had been taught one version, and some the other.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  9. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

When a Knight won his spurs was a favourite, and Guide us O thou great Jehovah. The latter was suspected of being a Protestant hymn so we didn't get it too often.

I wonder if any kids nowadays know any if these songs?

10. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I often wonder whether anyone today would dare get youngsters singing a song about a newly wedded wife running off with three gypsies (I don't think us ten year-olds were ever expected to work out the meaning of lyrics such as "For tonight I'll sleep in a cold open field along with the raggle taggle gypsies, Oh".)

11. Jolly_Roger15

In Class Six, in junior school, we had music lessons with Miss Evans, who, in hindsight, might have had a puritanical streak, as it was she who taught us songs like 'He who would valiant be'. Another song, which she had us sing was the 'Three Dragons Song'

THREE DRAGONS

Once there was a dragon dressed in red
    Dressed in red, all in red
    Never has a worse one yet been bred
    Than the dragon who was dressed in red.

Passionate and Peevish was his name
    Dreadful name, dragons name
    Passionate and Peevish was his name
    The dragon who was dressed in red.

Once there was a dragon dressed in green
    Dressed in green, all in green
    Never has a worse one yet been seen
    Than the dragon who was dressed in green.

Envious and Spiteful was his name
    Dreadful name, dragons name
    Envious and Spiteful was his name
    The dragon who was dressed in green.

Once there was a dragon dressed in black
    Dressed in black, all in black
    Never has a worse one crossed your track
    Than the dragon who was dressed in black.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  12. Jolly_Roger15

@florian gassmann: I am pretty sure that we sang a version of 'Black Jack Davey', at primary school. When Steeleye Span brought out its version, in the mid-Seventies, the words sounded familiar. We did not sing it to the same tune, but I remember the 'Shoes of Span-ish Lea-ther'.

florian gassmann likes this.
  13. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I've just discovered that for the last nearly 50 years I've been combining Marie's Wedding with the Tinkers Wedding. I always thought the "Herring heads and bit's o' bread, Herring heads and haddies 'o" were present at Marie's table, it seems not.

I always hated "If you're happy and you know it", enforced jollity to a dirge-like tune.

Lalad, Jolly_Roger15 and smoothnewt like this.
  14. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Zippety Doo Dah
    First song my mother taught me.

School: The girl with the black velvet band

Lalad and sunshineneeded like this.
  15. Jolly_Roger15

@Mangleworzle: It is depressing how dirge-like tunes persist in your memory. The one to which the same Miss Evans taught us to sing 'Lord Jesus think on me/ and purge away my sin' was 'music to slit your throat by'.

Lalad and Mangleworzle like this.
  16. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

"I was cold I was naked were you there? Were you there?
    And the creed and the colour and the name don't matter, were you there?"

Not sure about the last bit - very hazy memory. I fully remember the sniggering to the first bit after dreading it coming.

Also:

Hey, Mister Urdd
    (something) Goch, gwin at gwyrth
    Tra LA LA la
    More difficult Welsh words
    Tra lalala la....

And repeat ad infinitum. Great stuff for a kid straight outta the burbs of Manchester. Welsh singing about a triangular shaped thing that loitered around Eistedfodds!

17. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

How much do I love these nostalgia threads? :)

I remember all the hymns mentioned so far … also Daisies are our silver, buttercups our gold; Jesus bids us shine with a pure, clear light and Jesus wants me for a sunbeam. We sang these in infant assembly every day and at Sunday School.

Anyone else remember:
    Over the sea there are little brown children
    Fathers and mothers and babies dear
    They do not know of the little Lord Jesus
    They do not know that God is near.

Can't remember the next verse!

Lidnod and Lalad like this.
  18. Jolly_Roger15

Another one has just surfaced from the depths of memory. Does anyone remember a song about someone who 'went out one misty, moisty morning, a cap under his chin'?

sunshineneeded likes this.
  19. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I loved 'When a knight won his spurs' but I never had a clue what it was about. Looking back, it's completely obvious. I must have been a really thick child.

We had 'With cheerful voice' as our hymn book at primary school. There was always someone who could play the piano. Our head teacher used to get any naughty children out to the front and make them bend over to get their bottom smacked. Hard to imagine now!

Lidnod likes this.
  20. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

or

Camptown ladies sing dis song, Doo-dah! doo-dah!
    Camptown race-track five miles long, Oh, doo-dah day!
    I come down dah wid my hat caved in, Doo-dah! doo-dah!
    I go back home wid a pocketful of tin, Oh, doo-dah day!

Gwine to run all night!
    Gwine to run all day!
    I'll bet my money on de bob-tail nag,
    Somebody bet on de bay.

agathamorse likes this.