1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IF your offered the job ....

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by senlady, Mar 10, 2016.

1. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

How can one go about asking for sometime to consider it?

This is something I would NEVER do for a uk post. This is an overseas post and I was not asked in interview if I was still a firm candidate.

I AM still a firm candidate but if offered the post I would need to have those last discussions with my dependants and other half before saying yes, it has to be right for all.

How do I phrase 'can I consider it and come back to you?'

I shall also post this in overseas.

2. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

Please excuse my title typo!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Why don't you have those discussions now, while you are waiting? Or even better, (sorry!) why didn't you have them immediately after the interview . . . or even before?

That's what I would think if I were offering you a job. :(

You can ask, but you will not impress.

Best wishes

4. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

We have had and are having those discussions, constantly. We still need some questions answered but some may not get answered, which means ultimately there are 'risks' for us all and whilst it is still all a 'what if discussion' making that ultimate choice is put off.

If it is a contract of X years but things don't go well one could still leave after Y years couldn't one?

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If there are still questions unanswered, then of course you need these answers.

Some schools in some countries hold your passport so that you cannot, it is rumoured - only rumoured, I have no proof . . . and others may (not unreasonably) be upset if they had paid fares and other costs for you all but didn't get their full whack back from you.

But European schools are generally not binding you, and most other UK-linked schools are fine too, wherever they are in the world. But if you ask them this question at interview, they would not be happy!

Best wishes

6. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

Don't worry the question re contract is not one of our questions to the school! It is just a pure panicky 'if we totally hate it or end up bankrupt as only one of us has a job are we stuck or can we get out?!' question. I am certain that this is not a 'hold your passport' scenario.

I am striving to get our questions answered - with a lot of help, positivity and support from those who interviewed me, which I guess is a good sign!