1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

if you won the lottery, would you carry on working?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by groovyshell83, Dec 17, 2011.

1. groovyshell83

groovyshell83 Occasional commenter

i would def see out the year. i couldnt dump my kids like that.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Won as in several million, so that I didn't HAVE to work? NO! Not a hope.

I might, after a while when I got bored, do some voluntary teaching/helping out sort of thing in schools...maybe.

3. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

I'm retired from teaching, so I don't HAVE to work to live, but I now write poetry for children, which is popular. So I'm still contributing something for the educational world, but that is a different thing to being in the thick with the little dears day by day.. I'm not likely to win the lottery because I don't do it, but I do hope that some of you teachers will buy my books for your classrooms. That will help me to pay for all the work I've had done on my roof, but I'd love enough to have a nice holiday too!!! If you have a quiet time over Christmas, Google JOSIE'S POEMS and come and read some of my poetry. That will be relaxing for you whilst putting in the back of your mind that you'll come back with the children next term for more. In the meantime a Happy Christmas to you all and may you only have good and willing children in 2012. That's my wishes for you all.

4. YES! No matter how many millions...
    I teach because l love it - l can and have earnt more in other ways.
    And l would love to see the difference it would make to my kids learning and enjoyment to have such things as;-
    Computers - my laptop is the only one they have access to in whole school!
    More and newer books. DVD's etc
    Gluesticks (honestly!)
    Felt pens/Gel pens - none in school at all
    card of every shape and colour (none)
    Tissue paper/glitter/feathers/and all other art stuff
    Stickers/rewards/and pay for trips for those that can't afford to pay but are too proud to 'talk to the office'
    I would provide it all for them, do lots now anyway. The kids in my school don't all have access to these things, half don't even have a pencil case of their own.
    I might decide to just do 3 or 4 days though!
    PM

5. I'd like to carry on working in school and would probably go in on a volunteer basis and do classroom assistant stuff. I'd pick my hours and make sure I could do my own children's school run around doing a few hours in school on a regular basis. I'd keep at least one full day off for myself too, though.

6. SAM1CH

SAM1CH New commenter

A lotto win of millions in single digits would see me out of the door. I toy with the idea of slinking out and not bothering to tell anyone why I'm not in OR going in and telling of my good fortune.

Sometimes I would like to sponsor the library yet other times I deffo want them to know nowt.

A friend and I used to joke to the children that if one of us was off on the Monday it would be because we had won the Lotto. It got round the city pretty quickly, to the point that parents were calling the school with their sob stories, not one of them to say Good Luck. By the way, my friend was poorly!

On the other hand, I never put the lotto on and leave it in the hands of the hubby. He may leave it until the Thursday or Friday to check and that bugs me to think I may have been working un-necessarily, hmmm.