1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If you were trapped inside your home alone for a month

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

without a phone, a computer, a TV or radio and no external contact how would you pass the time? And do you think you would find it hard to cope with such a situation?

Edit You have food. You can't see outside because the blinds are all down and can't be opened, nor can the windows or external doors.

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I'd be bored for a couple of days, then I'd get in the swing of it.
    Reading, sewing, making things. Cooking.

ScotSEN and grumpydogwoman like this.
  3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Having been in plaster from ankle to thigh for a month I know that the TV, phone, Internet etc kept me sane. Even with those I was desperate for my husband to arrive home from work every night and for any visitors of trips out.

In that situation I would spend a lot of time reading but I still need some interaction.

ScotSEN and Lascarina like this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Books.

ScotSEN likes this.
  5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

The lack of a phone or TV wouldn't bother me in the least. I'd miss the radio and computer. Thankfully, I'd still have my CD collection to listen to, since you forgot to add that to the list of things I'd be denied.

To tell the truth, I haven't played any of them for ages since I can find virtually all of them on youtube, along with lots more.

I think I might enjoy the isolation if it's only for a month. Me and my record collection to pass the time away, along with my thoughts and a notepad. I'd be compiling a killer edition of Desert Island Discs, I think.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I could no doubt 'occupy' myself with sewing, reading and cooking. but no contact with the outside world via radio/tv news, no telephone / computer e-mail etc social contact would definitely be the hardest.

ScotSEN likes this.
  7. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I would read, knit and sew, but I think I would get seriously depressed without any human interaction and no way of relating to the outside world. I get stir crazy if I have to stay indoors in bad weather for more than a couple of days.

ScotSEN, Lascarina and Dragonlady30 like this.
  8. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Been there, done that but for over three years and without the regular food but I had the radio.

I was in heaven (sadly, I had to go out twice a fortnight: signing on and collecting food and baccy when the giro arrived).

I read, I read, I read.

Absolute bliss!

The happiest years of my life.

Check out the new movie 'Room'. Jack (aged 8) asks "where do the dreams come from?" "Are they from the television?"

aspensquiver likes this.
  9. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Read, cook, knit, sew, craft stuff, start writing again (poetry, stories), play my piano & guitar.

10. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

It's the human interaction that depresses me.

I'm off before I'm accused of being too sociable.

11. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i suppose there's housework to do...

12. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I thought of that @emilystrange. How much time per day do you reckon that would take. There wouldn't be much ironing because it wouldn't matter if your clothes were creased. Floors to vacuum, surfaces to dust, bathrooms to clean I guess. Cooking, washing, but no windows to clean because the blinds are down. I might have to take up rug making or calligraphy or writing or painting.

ScotSEN likes this.
  13. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I'd go slowly round-sorry, further-round the bend!! :eek:

lindenlea, ScotSEN and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  14. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i do have a box of marking to do. i could make that last a month!

ScotSEN and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Reading, cooking, baking, knitting, listening to music but the lack of human interaction and even more the inability to get outside - even into my garden would drive me stir crazy. Getting out into the fresh air is my way to destress!

cissy3, foxtail3 and Lascarina like this.
  16. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I think I'd have to make a list for every day with time allocated for particular activities. I'd have to have at least two exercise sessions a day, and go up and down the stairs a lot. I'd turn out all the cupboards, thoroughly clean the whole house and paint a room that I have been meaning to paint for a while -I have got the paint in the cupboard already. I'd do a crossword every day. I'd have at least an hour a day learning Turkish from a book on the shelf, Then I'd read, crochet and cook meals. I'd also write letters to people, to post when I got out and I'd keep a diary. I'd also try some drawing. I'd go through all my files and shred stuff that wasn't necessary any more. I'd learn a poem a day. I don't think I'd go round the bend but I'd have to plan a variety of activities and make sure I did them.

foxtail3, Lara mfl 05 and ScotSEN like this.
  17. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

I could do all those jobs I keep meaning to get around to. Sort out all the photographs and negatives. Re-order the cd's and try to find the missing ones (which seem to get put into the wrong cases.) Open up the chest full of albums and singles and give them a blast on the record player. Open the doors on my 'memory cupboard' and re-organise it and add some more bits and pieces, perhaps put all my gig tickets into scrapbooks. Flatten out the setlists and even try and match up tickets to them, frame them even.
    Finally get around to building a glass shelving unit and creating an uplight creation for each shelf. Follow this by putting my glass collection on them.

Or, I could just sit and read...

18. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

And you weren't trapped.

19. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Well, a month would be just fine. I would set a rough daily routine and I would do all those little jobs using the spare diy bits and decorating stuff that has accumulated.
    Exercise with pilates, practise my spanish in the structured way that I never manage, sort a couple of decades of photos - and with a few hundred books to choose from - and time to read with no distractions - heaven! :)

Just as well I didn't follow through and declutter after your plethora thread Lascarina - I knew I would need it all one day. :p

Lascarina likes this.
  20. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

It would be very bad for me to have that much time alone, I think I'd be really unwell afterwards. Yes, doing craft things, reading etc but that wouldn't be enough to keep myself mentally healthy.

lindenlea, Lara mfl 05 and foxtail3 like this.